turn signal question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

turn signal question

Recently I installed a Shadow tubular bumper from First Four Offroad in the UK. Removing the old stocker also took out my turn signals. On a 94 NAS there are four front marker/parking lights. I thought I would rewire the top lights to act as my turn signals and the bottom would remain as parking lights. Doing so has changed the resistance on the turn signal circuit so that the relay sees them as being burned out. This in turn activates the "nervous turn signal" that drives me nuts.

Does anyone know how I can fool the electrics into thinking that my marker lights are turn signals. At the moment they do work as turn signals but flash very fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I have the specific directions at work with part numbers. (courtesy of EastCoastRovers)
But, you order the series style turn signal and splice it in the lower lamp position.
takes about 20 minutes.

The older series style lamps are white on the inside, its hardly noticable but you may want to paint them black prior to installation.
(the reason is the wattage required to make the signal flash at an even rate is achieved with the old lamps)
If I remember I will post all the specific wire colors and part numbers on tuesday
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

solution

You'll need 2 stop/tail lamp assemblies from a Series III/ Euro Defender (part# RTC5523) and 2 amber lenses for the same (part # 589285).

Then remove the factory turn signal and the lower marker light.
Then blend the wiring, putting the parking light wiring (red w/ black stripe) to the red wire on the new lamp. Then take the turn signal wire (green w/red stripe LH) and (green w/white stripe RH) and attach it to the green w/ purple wire on the lamp assembly.
Then attach the black ground wire to the black ground wire on the lamp.
Install it in the 90 just like the one you took out. Chuck the red lens and install the amber lens and now you will still have all 4 marker lights and the lower one will flasher brighter (and at the normal speed) when you turn.

If your 90 has the modern black backed lights you will have to do some wire cutting and you should paint the white base of the new lamp black so it looks the same when you install it.

I did this and it works great
Bryan (directions courtesy of ECR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I rerouted the wiring for the blinker to the existing upper light. Replace bulb with a #105? purchased at the local auto parts shop. These fit into the small bezel of the '94 and are the correct resistance. Search on the board for the correct number.... I posted it on one of these threads.

Found it:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1675
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Man,
I took the long way around the problem.
But can you put clear lenses on and use an orange bulb?
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
Man,
I took the long way around the problem.
But can you put clear lenses on and use an orange bulb?
Even better, Led orange bulb...
Relamp with Led, never relamp again...
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Thanks for all the replies. The link to the other thread was good. I'll try the 105's first as it's the cheapest. Go figure. A Defender owner being cheap when his ride is worth over 50K on the open market. Sad but true.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Tried to get 105's but not in stock. Bought 1003's which are equivalent minus about a 1/4 watt. Didn't work. Next up is the 1156. Do I need to swap the rear flashers as well? I'm happy this stuff is cheap.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:39 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Not with my method
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

1156 wont fit if you have the small bezels from a stock '94. They didnt fit in mine and they didnt fit in Dougs (as per that other thread).
Quote:
"You're right Scott. I tried to install an 1156 yesterday and it is about a quarter of an inch too long for the lense cover"
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
You'll need 2 stop/tail lamp assemblies from a Series III/ Euro Defender (part# RTC5523) and 2 amber lenses for the same (part # 589285).

Then remove the factory turn signal and the lower marker light.
Then blend the wiring, putting the parking light wiring (red w/ black stripe) to the red wire on the new lamp. Then take the turn signal wire (green w/red stripe LH) and (green w/white stripe RH) and attach it to the green w/ purple wire on the lamp assembly.
Then attach the black ground wire to the black ground wire on the lamp.
Install it in the 90 just like the one you took out. Chuck the red lens and install the amber lens and now you will still have all 4 marker lights and the lower one will flasher brighter (and at the normal speed) when you turn.

If your 90 has the modern black backed lights you will have to do some wire cutting and you should paint the white base of the new lamp black so it looks the same when you install it.

I did this and it works great
Bryan (directions courtesy of ECR)
Thanks Bryan

Will i need 2 new amber lenses, or can i reuse the old ones?

I ordered the Series III Red rear lights but they do not come with bulbs...so which bulbs can i use? they need to have a dual funtion to them right?

thanks, and sorry about digging up the old thread.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

Just replace the four terminal flasher unit for a three terminal one that does not care how many bulbs it sees, these are about $15.

(you will lose the feature where it detects the presence of a trailer and flashes the extra warning light, but who cares.)

I can't believe you guys would mess around swapping out the lamps and holders.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Is there any specific model 3 terminal flasher relay needed or will any do? I need to replace might and would be happy to fix the flash rate at the same time.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

If you install halogen bulbs, if you can find them, it will increase the resistance enough that they should flash normally.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Cool

To close this thread I did buy two signal lights with the white backing and it did not work for me. I finally just jammed two bulbs with two elements in them from my wifes old Saturn SL2 that I had kicking around. The two contacts on the bulb base were close enough together that the single contact in the barrel touched both points at the same time. Two elements in parallel changed the resistance enough to solve the problem, until summer hits and things warm up enough to loosen the bulb off and shazam, resistance change. It just boils down to I don't give a crap any more. I will print this out regardless and if it becomes a nuisance again I will change out the flashers. I must admit that I never thought of that one.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
A cheap generic 4 terminal flasher from advance auto fixed my flashers (and hazards) and also restored my flash speed (or close to it).

Tridon Stant Flasher EP26

charles
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
A cheap generic 4 terminal flasher from advance auto fixed my flashers (and hazards) and also restored my flash speed (or close to it).

Tridon Stant Flasher EP26

charles
I owe you a beer Charles, tried all the other fixes and none worked, then i found your thread.
EP26 Flasher from Advance autos with a #105 bulb works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Whoohoo! Yeah this is the kind of thing that needs to make it into a FAQ. It's too damn hard to find this stuff. We need a wiki, or some other way for the masses to contribute.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal