Turn Signal probs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Turn Signal probs

My pass side rear blinker is out & the "click" is doing double time. I removed the bulb & replaced it with one that I know works, & it still doesn't work. The hazard flasher doesn't light it up either, so it can't be the turn signal switch. Anyone have any advice on how to get it going? Problem areas, look for continuity in the wires, etc?

TIA

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Inspect the plugs first. they corrode enthusiastically.
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That's how the truck let's you know a bulb is out (the double time clicking). Check the plugs and try and trace the wires as far as possible. The plugs corrode quickly. You may try cleaning off the contacts and see if it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

When my wiring drives me nuts because the turn signals don't work I just use the old left arm out the window straight for left turns and left arm out the window at bent at a right angle at the elbow for right turns. But I bet it is like Jim said the holders get a bit dirty and fail to conduct electricity.
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:52 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
funny you mention that Mike. I saw a guy in western MA last weekend doing that while driving a Model T ford..
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

My indcators are even more maddening. Since the accident I've been getting intermitent problems. When using the left turn signal the trailer light blinks and both rear indicators blink. I've been trying to figure it out but have given up. I just do the old arm out the window bit.
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Tony, did you check the wires and harness where it exits the fram on your rear end? I would bet some of the wires chafed.
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Tony, did you check the wires and harness where it exits the fram on your rear end? I would bet some of the wires chafed.
I've looked, can't find a problem. I just need to stop being lazy and start tracing/testing wires. It's just easier to use the arm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal