Turn Signal Problem and the effects of oxidation on electrics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2014, 07:55 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Turn Signal Problem and the effects of oxidation on electrics

My left turn signal was flashing more quickly than the right side. I checked all the lights and noticed the left side bulb on the fender side was not flashing. So I thought, bad bulb.

I tested the bulb and it was good. I put a volt meter on the wire posts and it showed 12 volts were making it to the wires. I put the bulb back in, nothing!

I looked at the post where the wire was connected and realized it was made of two parts. A post and a mount for the bulb. They were riveted together. When I put the volt meter on the portion where the bulb is held, nothing. The connection between the wire post and the bulb holder had oxidized. Gently twisting both parts resulted in contact.

I disassembled, cleaned both parts and reassembled them and put on some dielectric grease. Problem solved.

I am going through each light and grounding wire and disassembling, cleaning and putting grease.

Oxidation is a source of a lot of odd electric behaviors. Keep that in mind when you trouble shoot electrics on these vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice work.
I now make a practice to install LED side, brake, stop, signal, tag, and backup lights because of the intermittent problems you describe.
It becomes an SOP just to save time so you can work on other things instead of fixing faulty lights.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:11 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Robert, great advice. I started by replacing the dash lights with LED's. I bought the AC versions which are not sensitive to polarity. I will replace all the outside lights as well but I wanted to trouble shoot the problems first and clean things up. For example the headlight connectors crumbled when I pulled on them.

I was also going to change out the headlights with LED's but I have had a hit and miss experience with big LED's. I replaced the headlight and passing lights on my Harley and after about 3 months one of the passing lights developed moisture inside (the bike was never in the rain and is parked in my garage) and they won't replace it under warranty. I have seen similar experiences from other people. Expensive experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2014, 11:11 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Richard:
Good advice on the headlamps.
Yes have seen the plastic 3 way headlamp plugs fall apart also.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal