Turn signal problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Freeser
Tom Freese
1988 110

Turn signal problem

I recently bought my first Defender, a 1988 110 with a 200 TDI. I've fixed a few electrical issues and minor problems as I'm starting to learn about the truck. I'm having problems with the turn signals and am not sure what to do. When I first drove the truck the turn signals worked fine but the hazards did not work. I could get the hazards to work a little after messing with switch. Last weekend the turn signals stopped working completely. It did rain over the weekend and I thought the flasher relay might be the issue but it was bone dry and looks OK. Any suggestions where to look next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The next usual culprit is the switch itself. When it goes bad, it disables the signals, the hazards, or both.
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The next usual culprit is the switch itself. When it goes bad, it disables the signals, the hazards, or both.
x2...this has happened to me on both the 90 & 110. If it's a square type switch, pull it out a tad and see if that allows you to use the blinkers. If it's a rocker type switch just rock it back and forth a few times, or bypass it altogether (or test it with a voltmeter).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Try contact spray first. Most like considering the age of your car a corroded earth wire.
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is the tail light wiring exposed in the rear wheel wells? That would be my first place to look. Especially if it stopped working after rain.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The problem could be in the Hazard switch, turn signal switch, grounds or connections. Since you were working on the Hazard switch I would venture to say that it might be bad. If you can borrow a good one to try it that would be the ticket. A new Hazard switch isn't cheap. The turn signal switches go bad also and grounds always seem to be an issue. And while you are at it check the grounds. If it is effecting all of the turn signals then those are the three I would check.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Freeser
Tom Freese
1988 110

turn signals fixed

Thanks for the help. It looks like it was the turn signal switch. Replaced the switch and they work now.
Time to move onto the next project.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal