Turn Signal fuse blowing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:33 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Turn Signal fuse blowing

I am trying to track down an electrical gremlin in my new to me 86 110. The fuse that the turn signal is on is blowing. I replaced the turn signal switch with a new unit but it is still blowing. When I put a new fuse in it works for a bit, the trailer dash light turns on intermittently when I use the left indicator. When the fuse blows and I engage the hazards the trailer dash light blinks instead of the indicator light.

I've seen in searches that the hazard switches on these goes, I'm thinking this is the next thing to check but I'd like to see what else is on the circuit that could be doing this since the signals seem to work just fine when before the fuse blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd guess a short. Ie bare wire touching ground somewhere.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
I'm having the same type of problem. I replaced all of the driving lights and turn signal assemblies front and back along with a new turn signal/horn stalk, and when I engage the turn signal in either direction, I can hear the relay clicking and then the fuse blows. Neither bulbs will flash though.

Shorting problem as well? I'm thinking reversed leads, which would translate to the same?
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Bump
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Nashville
Victor Hess
1997 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
I'm sure it was a complete coincidence, but only my trailer light would come on when I used the turn signals. This went away when I replaced all the warning light bulbs in the dash and the indicator blinker worked again. I haven't seen the trailer light since.
1997 D90 ST NAS #1426
British Racing Green
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Short. I had the same issue before I replaced my harness. A wire frayed and was touching the metal on the frame. Just need to track it down.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Turn Signal fuse blowing

I went back and rechecked all 4 turn signal assemblies yesterday and found out that I had reversed the connections on the 2 front ones. The color coding of the wires was reversed during manufacturing. I also made shure that all bulbs were fine by feeding them a 12 volt signal.

The good news is that the fuse in no longer blowing, but I still have a problem:

1) the immergency flashers will not work when I activate the flasher button in the dash, unless the turn signal stalk is also activated in either direction (it doesn't matter if it's left or right)
2) the turn signal itself doesn't work all the time, it's intermittent, and only seems to work properly after I "reset" the circuit by turning the flashers on and off
3) the left rear corner turn signal is not working at all, whether I activate the flashers or the turn signal stalk

BTW, the turn signal stalk is completely new.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Sam,
Did you try changing the hazard switch? That or the flasher cure 90% turn signal issues. As for Toads issue(s) it sounds like an intermittent short somewhere in his system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal, wing