Turn Signal Failure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Turn Signal Failure

Hi All,

I picked up my D90 today, and noticed on the fwy that the turn signals arent working. The hazard switch does not activate them either.
They did work prior to dropping it off at the mechanic shop for something unrelated (window/door openning issues).

Its been pouring outside, so I havent had a chance to look at anything yet, but after doing a search online and not comming up with anything, I was wondering if you had any suggestions regarding where to start from:
I plan to check the fuse, if the fuse is good, maybe check the flashing relay/module (not sure how its setup).
What does the turn signal switch failure behaive like? will it prevent the hazard flasher from activating the lights?
By the way..I'm soon realizing that the D90 is not really a vehicle you own, but more like something you adopt. It always needs attention , and its developing a special relationship with my wallet

thanks,

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I do know that disconnecting the hazard switch will disconnect almost all the exterior lights. Normally if the blinker unit fails, they turn on but don't blink, though sometimes they do die completely.

I'd check the fuse first, then the blinker module.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:16 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Well,

Just came inside from trying to figure this one out. Here's what I have so far:
The fuse (number 5) is good, as is the one for the Hazard (I think that's number 2). Basically, checked all the fuses, and they're all good. Furthermore, the turn signal is supposed to share its fused circuit with the brake lights and the instrument cluster lights (picture of speedo). Everything else works, except..the turn signal, or the hazards.

Where is the flasher unit located?
What else should I check?

Thanks for any help guys.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Man, my manual is out in the truck right now, too damn cold and dark to go get it. I believe the flasher unit is located right below the fuse panel, it should be one of the round cans about the size of a 35mm film cannister. I don't remember if there are separate units for the turn signals and hazards or not, but most auto-parts stores carry replacements for just a few bucks.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:37 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Thanks for the info Hans. Not in a hurry, so no worries.
Mine doesnt have round cans. It has three yellow boxes (relays i assume) Under the fuses.
I gotta get a manual. Is there anyone who makes a Haynes or something similar manual to the NAS 1995 Defenders, or am I stuck with the Land Rover shop manual? I have a software copy of a manual for a 90/110, and it sucks. Doent show me any detailed info.

So, where is the flasher on a 1995 NAS D90?

-arbi
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The yellow relays are actually the headlight, starter, and something else. The emergency flasher and turn signal relays are tucked up behind the metal panel and you reall have to unscrew it from the bulkhead to get at them.

I have a known good hazard switch if you want to swap out to try an isolate the problem.
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:07 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

This has happened to me several times in water crossing
check the bulbs and conections.
They get alot of mud and sand kicked up in the back and go bad.
Check rear first then the fronts. wiggle bulb and connection while putting turn signal on and off.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Have you checked to make sure you have blinker fluid?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

David,

I double checked the blinker fluid, and changed the blinker fluid filter. They're both good.
Ron, I have bumper blinkers on my ARB too, so that means 6 bulbs would have to fail at the same time, since they all worked a week ago!
Also, wont the flasher still flash, but at a higher rate of speed?
Basicaly, I get nothing. The in-dash indicators dont light up (with turn nor hazard), no clicking sound, NOTHING! Its like the hazard button, or the blinker stem dont activate anything...

Do you guys know if there is a different blinker for the hazard, than the turn signals?
If this damn rain ever stops, I'll get to look under the hood, and see if I can locate the flasher unit.

Jim,
Isnt the blinker module one I can buy from any auto parts store? If so, I'll just bite the bullet and get one, and try it. I figure, i'll go bad sooner or later..

...are we having fun yet? I think we are
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

One way to protect the turn signals in the rear and wiring is to get the rubber boots that the dealership has to go around the lights. I had bulbs going out left and right when it rained and i bought those boots and haven't had any problems yet. I don't think the bulb is your problem though....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Make sure the blinker fluid is DOT 3.
That could be your problem.

With my truck if the rear bulb went then directionals on that side wouldnt work.
Also noticed that if my flashers where on the directionals wouldnt work. My flasher switch is borken.
That could be part of my problem : )
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A faulty hazard switch can cause a lot of problems with the directionals. There is a different flasher module for the directionals and the hazards. I couldnt find ones for my 95 at either the auto parts store or the LR dealer (none in stock). I dont know if the 94 is different.
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:42 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Jim,

I'll take out the hazard switch today, and see if its working.
Per my understanding, the blinkers and the hazards use completely different circuits. They even have different fuses. I checked both fuses last night, so I dont understand, how they BOTH are completely inoperable.

Am I missing something??

-arbi
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Took out the hazard switch. Looks like it works (lots of different connections being made..but nothing "looks/seems" out of norm.)

Where is the flasher unit on these?
I guess that's next?

thanks,

-arbi
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

While you are at it, you might as well fill up your high beams since it uses the same wrench as the blinker fill plug. Just FYI.
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The flasher units are behind the fuse panel. You might have to unscrew the panel to get them out.

Is your temp guage and fuel gauge working? I think they're on the same circuit as the flashers.
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Hi Jim,

Yes, my temp/fuel gauges are working. unless I have a severed wire...I cant imagine it'd be anything other than the flasher units. but both of them at the same time is a little hard to buy.
I'll have to get behind the fusebox and see what I find.

thanks,

-arbi

Follow-up Post:

I just got my hands on the wiring diagram for a 1990 Range Rover Classic. (my buddy used to have one).
Looking at the wiring diagram, looks like the turn signal indicators and the hazards share the same blinker module. If that's the case, then it might just be the blinker module, assuming the RRC and the D90 share this bit of electrical architecture.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?
I know its a lot of talkin' and not enough workin, but its still rainin' cats and dogs around here, and the D90 is sitting in the rain...so cant do much till it quits).

Thanks,

-arbi
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

You guys arent going to belive this. I took the fuse box out, and the turn signal relay is MISSING!!!
Called the tech at the dealership, and he said, since the truck was there for longer than a week, he thinks one of the other techs must have stolen it to put it into another D90!!!

This is rediculous!!! Last time I take my truck to that damn place....
and here I am, looking all over for the damn relay...

Thanks for all the help guys.

-arbi
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:42 PM
950rider
Matt Warren

Exactly how did you get to the back of the fusebox? I'm trying to find my hazard flasher too, my turn signals and hazards do not work and all fuses are ok. I have a 97 station wagon and it looks like I'd have to remove the entire center console to get to the back of the fuse box. Is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Matt,

Mine is a 95, so I dont have that giant center console.
In order to get behind the fuse box on mine, it was just a couple of philips screws, and the whole thing came out.

I dont know how it is on the 97s.

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal