Turn Indicator & Hazard Lights Not Working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2016, 01:22 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Turn Indicator & Hazard Lights Not Working

Hey folks, so suddenly my turn signals stopped working, no blinking, no dash light, etc. Hazards are dead too. All fuses are fine including both the 8A hazard fuse and the 10A breaklights/fuel gauge/turn signals fuses. (This is my v8 fuse map for reference). This is for an 83 110 v8.

So I'm concluding this is either the turn signal switch OR my hazard switch. I think it's LIKELY it's the hazard switch based on my searching. I'm going to try flushing the switch with contact cleaner today. I have to do a long drive this weekend and then will be on MV for a week, so getting a new one is a bit of a rush job. Hand signals are not effective when no one else knows what they mean!

So I've got a few questions:

1. What is the best way to test which is dead?

2. Is there any way to use a non-LR switch attached to the multi-connector in the meantime? This is what mine looks like:

3. Is there anything else I should be checking out/am I away off or does this seem reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
replace hazard switch - all your problem circuits route through the hazard, and they are notorious weak spots
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:41 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
replace hazard switch - all your problem circuits route through the hazard, and they are notorious weak spots
I'll.echo this. Sometimes when my truck sits for a week or so the signals won't blink, just stay solid. Flasher was replaced a while back but, one little flip of the hazard switch seems to fix it everytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2016, 01:42 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

Quote:
What is the next step if replacing the hazard switch does not fix the problem?
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:43 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Cool, flipped the switch a bunch, so it's more than just a finnicky connection. So question is, if cleaning up the connectors doesn't hurt, do i have a stopgap method of making this connection work for 4 days from now?
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

I finally found this link which is what i was looking for. The Pin diagram here will help test for power:

Hazard Switch & Indicators - fault diagnosis - Defender Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum
Old August 1st, 2016, 04:23 PM
GuamBomb
Mike
1991 Defender 90

Registry
That link that you reference above is what helped me diagnose my turn signal issue. You can also apply the same logic in that diagram to the indicator stalk. I'm betting that your issue is with the hazard switch so follow the instructions in the link for trouble shooting it first. If that does not find the problem, then remove the plastic covering around the steering column and test if the turn signal stalk/switch is good by jumping the wires at the connection. In my case, i had a bad indicator stalk/switch (they break easily).
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:37 AM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

My hazard switch works with no problems, lighting/flashing all blinkers. However, my indicator stalk doesn't.

I jumped the Permanent Supply to the Flasher supply, and voila the indicator stalk works as promised.

I can't seem to isolate the problem. Id appreciate your help.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:10 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

So I think I've confirmed that it's the hazard switch that's shot. If I run a straight wire from the power supply to each respective spot, the stalk switch activates the proper side markers (at constant on, not blinking). I took apart the switch, cleaned it all out, even broke it down to ifs components, cleaned, and reassembled. Do these parts look like they're in proper shape? So it seems I need a new switch. Anyone know where to get something that would work stat? Hitting the road Friday and could really use turn signals!

Forgot to add RB says end of next week. Fingers crossed for LRdirect or my DMV area homies.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:09 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Top right contact is super worn. Trevor @ rovahfarm might have one. Or in a pinch refill the divots with solder and reshape them with a small file.

Clean everything with rubbing alcohol
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:30 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Top right contact is super worn. Trevor @ rovahfarm might have one. Or in a pinch refill the divots with solder and reshape them with a small file. Clean everything with rubbing alcohol
dagger, he's got em but he's on vacation.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:48 AM
MyLeftyLandies
Gary Patterson
1990 LHD Tithonus

I dont know whether yours is an ex military truck with the central rotary light switch but if it is, give that a wiggle between off and position 1. I replaced the hazard light switch many times before realising that wiggling this thing brought all the indicators/brake/horn/hazards etc back to life. If yours is not a military one...as you were....
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:53 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLeftyLandies View Post
I dont know whether yours is an ex military truck with the central rotary light switch but if it is, give that a wiggle between off and position 1. I replaced the hazard light switch many times before realising that wiggling this thing brought all the indicators/brake/horn/hazards etc back to life. If yours is not a military one...as you were....
sadly no
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:14 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dan,

email me your shipping address - we've got them in stock.

brian@defendersnw.com
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Dan,

email me your shipping address - we've got them in stock.

brian@defendersnw.com
And Brian and DNW save the day!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:43 PM
GuamBomb
Mike
1991 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
My hazard switch works with no problems, lighting/flashing all blinkers. However, my indicator stalk doesn't.

I jumped the Permanent Supply to the Flasher supply, and voila the indicator stalk works as promised.

I can't seem to isolate the problem. Id appreciate your help.
@Tarheeld. You need to order a new stalk and replace it. Its a pretty easy job.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamBomb View Post
@Tarheeld. You need to order a new stalk and replace it. Its a pretty easy job.
Thanks. Doesn't that rule out the stalk as being the issue? Jumping the permanent supply to the flasher supply seems to re-power the stalk and it functions as normal. I may be wrong however...
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:06 PM
GuamBomb
Mike
1991 Defender 90

Registry
I assumed you were testing the connection at the stalk. If you are testing it at the hazard switch connection and the stalk works then you are correct the stalk should be good.
Old August 5th, 2016, 01:48 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Ugh, new switch didn't solve the issue. Any chance it's the flasher relay? Could the issue be in the harness side of the connection such that poking wires in there makes connections but the little switch prongs don't make solid connection?

And if I want to try to just swap the relay, is there some off the shelf, autozone type relay I could use or does it have to be an LR specialty part?
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:00 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Conclusion post: it was the flasher relay. I'm thinking that other tutorial's note that when making a test connection across the female connectors the indicators shouldn't blink was wrong.

For anyone looking for this relay in an emergency such as myself, this is the one I found at pepboys and did the trick: https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/9103511/01635

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights