Turn cancellation issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Question Turn cancellation issues

So I'm troubleshooting my turn signal.

Symptom: when I put my right turn signal on, as soon as I start turning to the right, the signal cancels before making the complete turn (on the clockwise turn part). The left signal works properly.

Facts:
-the steering wheel is on straight and aligned with the front wheels
-the blue cancelation ring under the steering wheel is pointing at the 9 o'clock position when the steering wheel is straight.

when I remove the steering wheel, and play with the blue ring and turn signal, the cancellation seems to work right by hand turning the ring. It's only when the steering wheel is remounted that the early tripping occurs.

I'm assuming at this point that the signal stalk is faulty, but I want to get some supporting of differing theories if they are out there. any description of the cancelation device and how it works would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Exact same problem here. I recall Mike @ ECR making a comment a few months back that he's noticing these mechanisms failing with more regularity lately.

EDIT----

I don't think this is the thread I was thinking of, but it sounds like the same problem with more discussion:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=6259
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
yep. I thought I had it resolved in that thread but it ultimately wasn't. I'm just assuming it's faulty now. Going to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
any description of the cancelation device and how it works would be helpful.
The cancellation device is fairly straightforward. It is composed of three different components.

The first component is the steering wheel. It has two steel "tabs" sticking out of the base of the steering wheel. These tabs are 180 degrees apart from each other, and when the steering wheel is centered, are at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions.

The second component is a cylindrical "collar" (which you call the cancellation ring) which passes around the steering column. This piece is integral to the turn signal stalk, but can be removed if the turn signal stalk is disassembled.

The collar has grooves that are designed to mate with the "tabs" on the steering wheel. Therefore, when the steering wheel is rotated, the collar rotates with it.

The collar also has a short "lever" molded into it which actuates the third component.

The third component is a piece of plastic which has multiple internal components:
1. The first subcomponent is a black plastic base which holds all the other subcomponents. This base pivots around the axis of the turn signal stalk.
2. The second subcomponent is a spring-loaded pin which "locks" the steering stalk in either the "up" or "down" position when signalling left or right, respectively. The locking mechanism is in the form of a v-shaped pin in a groove. A certain amount of force is required to free the pin from the groove, and therefore "cancel" the turn signal.
3. The third subcomponent is composed of two flexible white plastic "arms" which stick out of the base, opposite the direction of the turn signal stalk. These two flexible arms are the ones that the lever strikes when rotating the steering wheel.

Wear in any of these parts could cause the stalk to self-cancel early. For me, the spring-loaded pin was worn, the groove it locks into was worn, the spring was tired, etc.

You could start by replacing the lock-pin and spring, but having done this twice myself, I have to say that it is not easy (not because it's mechanically complex, but because the parts simply don't want to stay together), and I had to fab up my own replacement.

If the alternative is buying a new turn signal stalk, it's worth a try.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
that helps, thanks. clearly worn part.
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Do you have any screws missing or not tight that hold up the plastic steering column trim? One of mine was missing and that caused the same cancelation issue you're describing. With the screw missing it was hanging down SLIGHTLY on one corner pulling the rubber boot with it that is around the turn signal stalk. This extra pressure was enough to cause it to cancel the turn signals prematurely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions