Turbo compatibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Turbo compatibility

I think I blew my turbo ( was driving, heard like a cocktail shaking noise, truck slowed down , then when I got off the hwy, I have noticed a collapsed elbow hose from the lower IC hose to turbo. Also I noticed some oil on the frame and that is what makes me believe seals or bearings could be gone. I had no smoke from tail pipe or anything like that . I will check the prop spin when I replace the hose, but to be proactive...

question:

I have a 200tdi Disco on my 110 part number ETC7461 or TB0243 or 465175-0001, I was wondering if I put a ERR4802 with manifold it would be a direct plug and play swap? as I don't want to spend 1,200 on the new turbo

Thanks
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
uggh. feel your pain. Without smoke out the pipe when it's running, I'm starting to doubt your turbo is blown. I can't imagine a dead turbo that isn't leaking oil into the exhaust.

A collapsed IC hose into the turbo suggests to me a vaccum has been created, which would mean some kind of obstruction in the intake path.

worth a look I think.

Another suspicious think to look at are boost lines that have slipped off. do you have a boost gauge?
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Thanks man

Obstruction as in a bad IC?
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Goose if the oil is on the pressure side then it is most likely from your seperator on the other side of the head (cheap plastic thing costs about $35). Get a new elbow and you should be back on the road- the stock hoses blow fairly easily. I'm running the Terrafirma silicone ones. Can't like the blue but hard to argue the price and they are way better than stock.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And a new turbo is not $1200.

http://www.paddockspares.com/turbocharger-200tdi.html
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
Goose if the oil is on the pressure side then it is most likely from your seperator on the other side of the head (cheap plastic thing costs about $35). Get a new elbow and you should be back on the road- the stock hoses blow fairly easily. I'm running the Terrafirma silicone ones. Can't like the blue but hard to argue the price and they are way better than stock.
Did the hoses and nothing, checking injectors as fuel goes in fir few seconds and dies
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
well, your turbo's demise would not keep your engine from running, so doesn't sound like the turbo. Running for a few seconds and dying would however be a supportive symptom to the lack of air to your engine, causing air starvation after a few seconds of running.

Maybe somehow your air filter became totally blocked by something, or you sucked a bird into your intake.
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

if you are loosing fuel after a few seconds maybe check the fuel cutoff soleniod on the back of the injection pump?
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had Goose crack each injector with the engine idling, he was getting fuel out of each one (though maybe lower volume than expected). We've been trouble-shooting a few other things (like the possibility that it either: a-doesn't have a fuel filter in place but sedimenter only, or b-what may be a fuel filter is tucked underneath the chassis but is BEFORE the sedimenter).

I'm having him drop the sedimenter for kicks to see if there's a ton of stuff gunking it up - if there is, may be the issue. If there's not we'll continue the trouble shooting process so any input/advice is welcomed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
What was the report on your turbo impeller play when you took the hose off? That would rule turbo failure in our out.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Will check the air filter and hoses.

The impeller look fine to me ( but that is no assurance at all based on my qualifications *LOL* )

I have called for back up ( drove Jason crazy thus far ) and Doug C will stop by, and I am sure it will be some stupid 2 mins thing that will look at me and say " You idiot , why didn't you check this "

Thanks for the input, as I will keep checking as soon as I finish this meeting
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Doug C will stop by, and I am sure it will be some stupid 2 mins thing that will look at me and say " You idiot , why didn't you check this "

Thanks for the input, as I will keep checking as soon as I finish this meeting
While I may still look @ you and say this, the fact that there is only a sedimenter bowl and no filter on this truck has me very concerned for your IP. I think your problem is fuel not intake pressure.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
While I may still look @ you and say this, the fact that there is only a sedimenter bowl and no filter on this truck has me very concerned for your IP.
Doug:

Not 100% sure, but I think we may have located what appears to be the fuel filter tucked in a very odd spot - behind the firewall front passenger (RH) side on the chassis...see attached.

However, also appears to be in line BEFORE the sedimenter (also wrong).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7869.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	43534  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I believe that they didn't use sediment filters on all the trucks but did use fuel Filters on all the trucks, LOL
At idle the turbo isn't spooled up and you have no boost pressure so the motor should run with a bad turbo at idle. Especially if you can move the turbine a little with your finger. You should be able to feel a very little play but not a bunch. Look at the vanes to see if they look clean and intact. I am inclined to think along the same line as some of the others as to something else being the issue. You might also want to check the lift pump on the side of the block.
You can also have the turbo re-built if so inclined. I have heard of the guys in the UK putting the 300 Turbo on the 200 to get a bit more horsepower.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If it does end up being the turbo, George @ RDS has NTO w/ manifold for $425 (they were on sale for awhile at $325, but looks like they're back at full price).

But let's take all sorts of other stuff out of the equation first.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Doug:

Not 100% sure, but I think we may have located what appears to be the fuel filter tucked in a very odd spot - behind the firewall front passenger (RH) side on the chassis...see attached.

WTF? Need to fix that shiite.

PS. Mike, get rid of that avatar.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
WTF? Need to fix that shiite.

PS. Mike, get rid of that avatar.
We know, we know . But first we need to get this sucker running then we can change that to the correct setup.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Doug:

Well, that's definitely not a tdi fuel filter

It looks pretty nasty...any chance it's blocked/clogged?
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Is there nothing between the lift pump and the injection pump???
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

That photo looks like the really old style Range Rover V8 fuel filter from the 1970's. For the TDI the fuel should come from the tank to a sedimenter, then the lift pump on the side of the engine, then to the fuel filter, then to the injection pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions