Turbo compatibility - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am no Tdi expert by any means, but my current working theory is that the internals on the turbo oil feed pipe or oil drain pipe (#11 & #12 on the attached) have collapsed and are restricting flow to the turbo.

I know some have stated that the Tdi will "run" withouth the turbo (which Goose's does at idle), but when he steps on the gas it totally dies. Given if the turbo has the issues with the oil feed or drain pipe, won't this cause the symptoms as described?

Other possibilities as discussed seem to be:
- poor fuel supply (I'd say "possible", but I had him crack each injector and fuel DID come out)
- poor fuel quality (or water in fuel...probably also unlikely since he filled up at an Exxon rather recently)
- faulty lift pump (possible)
- faulty injection pump (unlikely in my opinion)
- fuel shutoff solenoid failure
- air in fuel (unlikely from described)

Any other thoughts/input? Particularly on the turbo feed/drain pipes?

PS - he checked his air filter and it is in great shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	43535  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would think the turbo would run with out the oil, but would soon lock up. The oil just lubricates the shaft at the bearing.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
is the Fuel Pump solenoid an item by itself or part of the pump?

I better stop reading otherwise the next suggestion is put a new motor *LOL*

Seriously , while searching and brainstorming with Jason ( mind you only one brain in that equation ) , the item was mentioned as well as the Pick Up Pump.

It appears to be a common issue on the Disco 200tdi ( or a lot of people have my luck )
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The only thing I keep coming back to it that you are getting fuel out of the injectors when you crack them, and it'll run at idle...so I would assume the pickup is working. No?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
That it is not what the guys @ landrovernet are saying.

Couple of guys had my issues

Some was the lift pump, some clogged fuel lines, some solenoid, one had as added bonus the hose that goes from turbo to IP, so who knows

Although your point makes more sense
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
the one that goes from IP to turbo is the boost feed. all that does is allow compressed air (boosted) from the turbo output to go over to the boost diaphragm on the IP to add more fuel at a different rate than no boost.

if you are getting fuel at the injectors, then it could be a highly restricted fuel supply, rather than all or nothing.

My recommendation is run a pickup line straight from a very clean bucket of diesel to the lift pump pickup, and see if it will run (bypassing all your suspected crap filters), and leave one of your injectors slightly cracked to confirm it leaks continuously for a few minuts when it does run.

BTW, there is no real pressue on the turbo oil drain pipe. it's basically a drip line for the expelled oil, gravity draining back into the sump. if you had turbo oil starvation, then you would have a seized turbo already. if you can spin your turbine blade on your turbo without resistance, it's probably fine.

this sure sounds like fuel system to me.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I don't know a lot about Rover TDi's, but have you looked downstream of the collapsed hose?

If the turbo is losing boost some place, the turbo would work harder to create boost thus collapsing the hose running to the turbo.
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
By downstream of the collapsed hose you mean at the end of the hose? if that is the case , I did as it is the turbo impeller.

Actually the hose, was cracked where in the inner elbow section
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have had lift pumps fail and as long as the filter is clear the truck will run albeit with less performane. I ran highway speeds back from Vermont with no lift pump. Under no load the engine will rev with no boost if it has fuel.

You guys did read there is no fuel filter on this truck between the lift pump and injection pump? Fuel filtration is paramount on a diesel and the fuel needs to be pushed through the filter by the lift pump. The fuel leaves the lift pump @5 psi or so and leaves the injection pump @ very high pressure. Any crap that makes it into the injection pump can trash it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
By downstream of the collapsed hose you mean at the end of the hose? if that is the case , I did as it is the turbo impeller.

Actually the hose, was cracked where in the inner elbow section
I mean past the turbo. If the turbo is over boosting I could easily see how it would collapse a hose. But again, I'm not familiar with Rover diesels, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2011 10:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
You guys did read there is no fuel filter on this truck between the lift pump and injection pump? Fuel filtration is paramount on a diesel and the fuel needs to be pushed through the filter by the lift pump. The fuel leaves the lift pump @5 psi or so and leaves the injection pump @ very high pressure. Any crap that makes it into the injection pump can trash it.
I'm wondering what that has to do with the collapsed hose, though. His problem has to be either fuel or air related. The collapsed hose seems to point to air. I'm not saying his problem is not fuel related, I'm just more concerned as to what is making the hose collapse.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Good lord...

OK..

1) Is the intake air path all clear? Yes or no? This started off saying there was a collapsed intake hose!!!
2) Does the turbo spin? Yes or no?
3) Disconnect the feed line to the injection pump and stick in bucket. Crank over. Do you get a good supply of fuel or not? If not, you have a fuel supply problem...

Air and fuel. That is all you need.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Could be what was wrong on my truck - clogged fuel screen on the in-tank fuel-pickup tube.

It idled like a champ but would not accelerate and hesitated like crazy. My symptom was that the truck drove great on the highway then all of a sudden it felt like it was hitting a speed limiter at around 50 mph. After a few miles, I couldn't take the truck above 25mph. Then I couldn't even get the truck to move past idle.

Fix is easy - just clean out the crud in the filters, then clean the fuel tank. Job done!

Like others have said if a turbo gets no oil it is dead The journal bearings (just sintered bronze) are designed to have the turbo shaft rotate in a bearing film of oil at a certain pressure. Low oil means the shaft hits the journal bearing and that usually means the journal bearing is toast. You can tell by gripping the turbine bolt with your finger tips and "jiggling" lightly on-axis and off-axis. You should have absolutely zero play side to side and maybe a tiny bit fore and aft (on-axis). If you spin the turbine with your fingers and you hear no "ringing" noise you can rebuild.

The good news is assuming the blades haven't hit the housing, you can rebuild it for $35 in parts from ebay
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
The Good News :

The truck drove in its own power about 6 miles round trip ( to fill up and back )

The Bad News:

I've spent all day with Doug *LMAO* ..I am kidding... THANKS x 1,000,000

We replaced Fuel Filter ( I did have one, a funny one that looked like a separator - now fitted with the proper one
We emptied the secondary fuel filter ( as it appears it is not a separator )
Turbo is fine
All air is fine

It appears I had bad fuel ( with water ) and no matter what we did , it will run fine in the house, then go for a test drive and we got stranded

I will test drive further tomorrow before I drive to ROTR

Thanks all for the input
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
welcome. Try not to fill it up with the garden hose again.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions