Turbo boost, International 2.8L engine with VNT - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
report on mpg when you have the numbers in! I'm at + .25 on the power screw and 90deg on the diaphragm right now. going to add another .25 very soon and move the boost signal to the intake as well.
OK Mark, I will report. It will take a while though because I filled the tank just today and I will not be using the D for at least 10 days due to a job related trip.

However I have not yet reached the stage of fine tuning to achieve acceptable fuel consumption levels. I have been mainly envolved in achieving the best power & EGT relationship without hurting reliability a lot. Once I am fully satified I will start paying more attention to fuel consumption. Since a few months ago I have another car for every day use so I am actually not that concerned about MPG.

Not sure whether a bit more boost will help you with your fuel consumption but given what I have read about your EGT's and your boost readings it may perhaps help lower the temps.

Cheers,
Stgo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
actually, at my current setting with advancing the timing, my EGT's are WAY down. I'm running around 900F doing 70mph now. crazy drop. I have plenty of room now to add fuel if I need to. Shows how retarded I was

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
actually, at my current setting with advancing the timing, my EGT's are WAY down. I'm running around 900F doing 70mph now. crazy drop. I have plenty of room now to add fuel if I need to. Shows how retarded I was

How is that about advancing timming and lowering EGT's? Could you explain a bit more? I know nothing about it.

Is that because you had the timming wrong after changing your timming belt? Or is it a trick to lower EGT's? I understand you can also increase power a bit by chnging the timming, is that correct?

Cheers,
Stgo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
How is that about advancing timming and lowering EGT's? Could you explain a bit more? I know nothing about it.

Is that because you had the timming wrong after changing your timming belt? Or is it a trick to lower EGT's? I understand you can also increase power a bit by chnging the timming, is that correct?

Cheers,
Stgo

there's a whole thread on performance tuning the IP and IP timing, but yes, it makes a huge difference. from the factory set, retarded timing causes EGT's to go way up, power and economy to go down. (aka it sucks to be retarded). My timing has been retarded for some time until recently in last few weeks when I finally advanced it a bit. big increase in power, and major drop in EGTs.

I haven't done my timing belt yet. I'll be doing that in november, and then will take my timing and IP back to factory set and readjusting from there.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
there's a whole thread on performance tuning the IP and IP timing, but yes, it makes a huge difference. from the factory set, retarded timing causes EGT's to go way up, power and economy to go down. (aka it sucks to be retarded). My timing has been retarded for some time until recently in last few weeks when I finally advanced it a bit. big increase in power, and major drop in EGTs.

I haven't done my timing belt yet. I'll be doing that in november, and then will take my timing and IP back to factory set and readjusting from there.

Mark,
Do you refer to this thread ?

"The *official* 300 TDi Performance Thread"

Or is it another one?

Stgo
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
That's one of them. There's also:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38722

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4450

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45270

Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I found the 'Advanced timing wow' thread by Steve very helpful. The amount of advancement needed is very very minute but it makes a world of difference. I also did my valve clearances at shortly thereafter which made it run more quiet.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Santiago, any update on how your economy was impacted by this boost signal change? I'm getting ready to move my wastegate feed to the intake per Pendy's guidance as well, and maybe turn the fuel guage up another 1/4 turn after that.

Disregard everything I wrote before about my EGT's. It's a story for a different thread but the cliff note version is my IP driveshaft hub slipped on the driveshaft, which is why I could never get my timing pin lined up and why my engine has been off and retarded for quite some time(maybe years). I had a Bosch shop retime the IP and now my timing is finally spot on, so going back to square one on tweaking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
boost, engine