Turbo advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Turbo advice

The other day I heard a distinct change in the sound of the turbo (whines more now, and maybe a hiss), and now I am down on power, especially on the top end. I checked all the intercooler hoses and the exhaust and couldn't find anything wrong. I don't know much about turbos, so any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
two possibilities: your boost line to wastegate is coming loose or your your bearing is about to fail. if i were you, i would take off one hose end of turbo to check shaft for play. should hv no play. if there is any sig play, remove immedately for rebuild. if bearing fails, youll spew oil from failed seals throughout your intake system requiring dismantle to clean, and the failure could score your turbo casing rendering it not rebuildable.

all this of course after verifying you don't hv boost leak to wastegate.

good luck and don't ignore this for even a day!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

A turbo is a simple device, and there aren't many forms of failure. Exhaust spins the impeller, the opposite side sucks in air and compresses it. Bearings are high on the list of likely failures on a higher mile turbo, and vanes breaking off the impeller are a close second. Take the hose off the intake side of the turbo and check to see that the wheel turns freely, and look at the compression impeller for damage. Feel for any binding or roughness, and check the end play, both side to side and in/out. There is always some end play, but it's minimal.

The housings tend to be very durable as long as no FOD occurs. The Garrett turbos used by LR are relatively inexpensive to have rebuilt, and a good shop can tune the turbo for different performance based on how you drive the truck.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:15 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Thanks guys. I wondered about the wastegate, so I will definitely check that. This is a "good condition" unit from the UK with "very little play". I checked the play and the action of the wheels before I put it in. It was more than I thought it should be, but not excessive and it has been fine until now. I had a similar issue with my last turbo and ended up having to have it rebuilt (different unit). Is there something that causes a bearing failure? I have also noticed more smoke out the back recently, which might be an indicator.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
one thing I have noticed with tdi turbos is that there is often more play in them when they have been sitting for a while. if you run the engine and then check it right after shutting it down there should be alot less play, or none at all.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:50 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

OK, I'll check it hot and see. Stupid question about the wastegate boost line. Mine comes off the outlet of the turbo to a tee. One branch goes to the wastegate and the other is just open. So obviously not getting boost to the wastegate. A little background as to why. I am running a 300 turbo and manifold on my disco 200 engine so I could do the LHD conversion. Where does the other branch of the boost line usually go on a 300 engine?
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:55 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

It goes to the injection pump. It is what "tells" the pump to enrich fueling under boost. Lacking that signal will definitely hurt performance.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

That was it. The line poped out at the tee. I should have looked a little closer, but it was hanging down... Anyway, that would explain the hissing sound. I'll take a test drive in a little bit to confirm. Thanks for the education boys!

------ Follow up post added July 19th, 2011 09:20 PM ------

Did the test drive - huge difference. Good thing too, since I was sweating having to do a turbo rebuild. The truck is my only source of transportation since my other care got flooded in May.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions