Tuffy Console and Radio Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Tuffy Console and Radio Install

I bought a tuffy console (the large one) for my 94 D90 and am having a hard time figuring out how to install the radio. I ended up drilling two holes in the aft portion of the box to secure it to the floor. I am using the existing hole in the forward portion of the box as well. I ended up getting some rubbing heater tubing to place over the ridge where the cab connects to the bed so that the console can rest on. I am using the spacers that came with the adapter kit for the rear bolts as well. Feel free to QA my installation as I am a novice in working on the D90. The following are some issues/questions that I have before I bolt it down:

-Do I need to purchase additional brackets to mount the radio in the console before I bolt it down? What is the best method to do this?
-Should I use additional spacers to lift the forward portion of the console off the floor and should the the aft portion of the console be lifted up off the ridge where the cab connects to the bed using additional spacers?
-How much space do I need from the diff lock shift and the cup holder?
-I know that there are alot of different ways to install this but I have already drilled holes in the vehicle and console so I would like to stick with them, but I am open to other ideas of making the console the most stable as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old September 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90
I bought the deluxe locking stereo console a long time ago. I mounted mine with a spacer (to make it level) to the center plate. Then I installed the center plate to the truck. The front flip part where the radio goes needs the metal mounting bracket that comes with a head unit. I also secured the front cup holders to the top rib on the seat box to help secure the whole console.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

console, radio