Tuffy Center console mounting - pics needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Tuffy Center console mounting - pics needed

Ok... Was looking at how my tuffy was mounted last night to figure out how to stop the blast furnace that is leaking in via the gap in the cover plate and the hardura.

Basically the console is mounted directly to the transmission cover - this is definitely not correct since it does not use the feet looking part that is suppose to come with console.

does anyone have a couple of pictures of how it is suppose to mount especially where it bolts to.

I need to redo the whole thing. why lock it if you can unscrew 2 screws and pull the whole thing out in about 30 seconds.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

tuffy box

Well this is how the Tuffy box on my D90 was attached by the previous owner. Rear held in place by attachment tabs, holes are threaded. Bolted from inside. Now we are left with the front holes to secure. No holes on the transmission cover line up, so you need to drill at least two holes. If you have a helper they can hold a lock washer from underneath the car while you secure the bolt from above. Or, drill twin holes and use zipties. Ultimately, a professional car thief can steal anything, so don't put anything too valuable inside the Tuffybox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (10).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	78070  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Pictures please

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

pictures attached

Attached are the pictures of my Tuffybox mounts. Note my project is still in progress, so the front mounts are a proposed solution- I haven't done them yet.

The rear mounts are basically "L" shaped metal tabs bolted to the body seam where the seat box meets the rear bed. The tabs are then threaded so they can accept a bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d901.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	78074   Click image for larger version

Name:	d902.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	78075  

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
If you dont want to drill new holes in your floor, just put the box in place, then drill up through the holes from under the truck - making new holes in the tuffy box. worked well for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, mount