Tuffy box removal/ Rear load mat install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Tuffy box removal/ Rear load mat install

I searched and got a ton of info on the center console and how to modify it but I have a box in the back.

The PO installed it over the wheel well and I need to remove it to install the load space mat. BUT I have to do it by myself and wanted to know if ya'll had any ideas to get the nuts out. The PO mounted it with the nuts in the box and I can't hold the bolt head and undo the nut. I also need to reinstall it after I put the mat under it.

I'd like to remove the seat mounts on the floor and the sides of the wheel wells for the bench seat so I can put the mat in and then reinstall these too. It seems to be the same deal as the box. I don't want to cut the mat for these if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Visegrips, my best friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
vice grips on the nut or the bolt? DIY things are new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

The last mat I installed (ST so it went over the wheel wells) ripped at the seems in a month. What advice can people give on getting these lined with line-x or one of the competitors? Greg, you had some plusses and minuses from the last time you had it done, didn't you?
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Tony,
I had the same problem with my soft top rear mat. My solution was to line-x the rear tub over the exact same area the original mat covered. I actually used Hurculiner from Autozone for a do it yourself approach. I pulled all the bolts and brackets out of the tub so they would not be "lined" in. I like to keep the 90 somewhat factory. Keeping this in mind, we decided to cut the oval Land Rover logo out of the used mat, glue it to the tub in the same place it would normally rest, and line-x over it. Turned out really sweet. Also keeps the factory look with a much better result. The project was fairly inexpensive and took about 3 hours to complete. Most of that was prep time removing bolts and taping everything off.

I will try to take some pics and post over the next few days.

Keith

Doc Holliday
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sorry, vicegrips on the nut inside the box. As you loosen from below the vicegrips will turn and hit the edge of the box and hold it for you. You can also use a box wrench, but they usually pop off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions