Tuffy Box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Zimbo76
Keith Page
1994 Defender

Tuffy Box

I got a Tuffy to replace my factory console, and when I bought it RN told me it is a snap to install it.
Well it came and the first thing I noticed is it has only three holes in the base. Two at the rear and one in the front/centre.
The rear holes don't even come close to matching up, and if I position the box the way they suggest I would have had to drill into the frame (a BIG no no for me). It is fine to drill into a jeep but not my defender.
In addition the front drink holder gets in the way of the diff lock.
After all was said and done, I found there is that removable metal plate right below the center console. I ended up marking and drilling into that plate, and installing it. Now if I have to replace the box, or the plate it doesn't change the body, and it a lot cheaper. I installed it a little further back so the drink holder doesn't get in the way. After all, when you need diff lock, you need it NOW!! (glug....glug...sink....glug).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

"lock diferential before entering soft terrain" learned that one the hard way myself.
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:04 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Isn't there a special mounting plate you have to purchase for the one of the Tuffy's to mount in a D90?

From the Tuffy website:

Part #077 colors: 01

Mounting Package Specifically Designed for LandRover Defender 90 Years up to '95, Bracket uses Consoles Part #016 & #017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Keith, I'm not so sure you want to mount the Tuffy to that access cover. The cover is only held by sheet metal screws. I recall someone's writing on how dangerous that can be in the event of a rollover. It's a rather entertaining discussion, if nothing else.

If you slide the console back so that it rests on top of the mating flange between the cab and the tub, you'll have enough room for the cup holders. Drill new holes through the bottom of the console so that they go through the part of the cab on which the access cover you mentioned is screwed. You can put a spacer between the console and that bottom of the cab next to your seat so the console sits flat. I used a piece of 3/4" square Al tube from Home Depot for the front, and sliced a piece of 3/8" (or so) rubber tube so it fit over the flange between the cab and the tub and the console could rest on it for the back. Bolts all the way through the console and nuts on the underside of the cab floor.

Perfectly clear, I'm sure (not).

If you want, I can clarify.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:38 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Depending on which box you got, the cup holders on some are supposed to be mounted on the rear of the box.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Zimbo76
Keith Page
1994 Defender

Ken,

I was ready to mount it as you described, but I simply can't do any drilling into the cab. Especially that part of the cab.
I secured that peice of metal with some larger screws.
The original box is actually secured to that plate so I am going with the way it was originally installed, but with some new holes.
That plate is pretty secure now, and I would be surprised if it came lose in a roll over unless it was at speed.
I rolled my old cruiser 5 rolls, and it wasn't the consol that hurt. It was the shovel, and tool box that came open with all the wrenches that hurt the most. ha
I remember thinking. "When is this beating going to stop"
To add insult to injury the beers were destroyed and my lunch was flung all over the African hillside. It was ok though, because I found my dogs sitting comfortably on my jacket eating my chicken sandwich as if they were watching a NASCAR wreck. I am sure I saw a wry smile from one of them.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:26 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Keith, Damn, that sucks that you spilled your beer!

CVC, there are holes in the box so you can mount the cup holders to either the front OR the back. Plugs included to cap the holes you don't use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions