tub removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 1st, 2014, 12:25 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

tub removal

Guys, I did search on "tub removal" on this site and I didn't find anything that discussed the specific steps.

I'm doing a color change on my Defender. We are trying to determine of the tub can be painted on the truck(and masking the rest of it) or if it needs to be removed for best results. If it does need to be removed, what is the approximate level of effort and are there any gotcha's?

Thanks for any help,
Mit

------ Follow up post added November 30th, 2014 11:25 PM ------

the bulkhead, fenders, hood and doors are being painted off the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 08:03 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Since you're doing a color change I'd take the time to remove the tub so there is no chance the old paint will show
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also the part where it meets the back of the seat box, where the cage mounts, a bunch of other little places too like under the rear seal retainer thing.

Not terrible to pull, just a ton of bolts. The hardest part will be getting the cage off. Make sure you have the correct torx bit (I can recall what size, T55?) and turn the nut while holding with the torx if you can.
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 12:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Remove it. Trust me its for the best. So many nooks and crannies to get paint into.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:15 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Thanks guys. The cage is already off.
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Did you remove the cappings too? You may wish to galvanize them or paint the separately to prevent rust. Really easy to drill out the rivets now.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:18 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

cappings are next. The rivets are out but the cappings don't seem to eager to come out. Is it worth galvanizing? The frame and bulkhead are already galvanized. Sending the cappings out will delay me another week. They have to go to a shop in Houston. No one local to Austin hot dips.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
cappings are next. The rivets are out but the cappings don't seem to eager to come out. Is it worth galvanizing? The frame and bulkhead are already galvanized. Sending the cappings out will delay me another week. They have to go to a shop in Houston. No one local to Austin hot dips.
They have sticky tape on some of them. Pry them off. The tape retains water and causes rust. In Texas, probably it is fine to pull them and paint them but galvy is always better. Or leave them raw galvy.
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:20 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Mit,

What color is it no, and what color are you changing it to?

Post some pics. And posting a ballpark price will help others considering the same thing.

Old December 1st, 2014, 08:45 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

It was currently white and the paint was in really bad shape. I'm painting it a charcoal color. Far enough from black where all of my black trim and black wheels have contrast. It also goes well with my exposed galvanized frame. I knew I was getting a galvanized bulkhead so at that point a color change isn't that much worse than a repaint in the original color.

I'll be happy to post pics when it's done or even during intermediate stages. I can't really post a price because the owner of the shop bought my previous Range Rover Sport Supercharged and it was a partial cash, partial paint labor transaction. He is a friend but I don't think he is eager to paint another Defender. He knows I am a pain in the ass but this project has been even worse than he probably first guessed.
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:34 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Although more of a pain in the ass than it may be worth, and an over simplification the way I am putting it hereŚwould it be better to paint all of the parts separately since you are changing the color? As long as you are removing the tub, why not remove the doors, wings and front panel?

I have been contemplating tearing my truck apart this winter, replacing the frame with galvanized frame, galvanizing bulkhead and repaint. I am going to stick with the factory color, but since most of the Defender will be apart anyway, why not paint it as pieces?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:16 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Chuck everything else has been removed except for the tub. The tub was the only thing in question.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Sounds like it will be a sweet paint job when finished.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:16 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Don't forget the fuel filler pipe, and tank breather if it's clipped up under the (usually) LH arch.

Also (well, on euro spec, don't know about NAS) there are 2 brackets underneath kind of just behind the seatbox join with a 13mm bolt through. these will stop you from lifting the tub off.

It's east to lift. 2 man job. not heavy just big. have a tressle table or a pile of pallets to sit it on, otherwise you could damage the rear lower wheelarch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions