Tub Refurb - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Looking good Don, now to get the tub up to the bench is my troubles. what did you use for filler rod?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2015, 12:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Looking good Don, now to get the tub up to the bench is my troubles. what did you use for filler rod?
Haha - I was thinking how I was going to set it up so I could weld. Did a lot of these repairs standing up so tub actually might be easier if I can sit in a chair.

I started with 3/32" ER5356 but that was way too big - then got 1/16" and used a 3/32" tungsten. Tried 1/16" tungsten but I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what but it just wasn't working. 70 amps on the machine.
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Nice. My uncle welded my series tub. He said the best stuff to use was pieces of aluminium cut from other rover panels I had. He used a spool gun. Worked great.
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2015, 04:11 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Nice. My uncle welded my series tub. He said the best stuff to use was pieces of aluminium cut from other rover panels I had. He used a spool gun. Worked great.
Interesting about using Rover aluminum. I might do the Mud UK bulkhead cutout and was thinking of using that aluminum as patch pieces.

Another thing I have found - is the aluminum cannot be too clean. One site I found said to use stainless brushes to prep the metal.
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:38 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

That is very true, aluminum is not as forgiving as steel is when it comes to welding. The brush cannot be used for anything other then cleaning aluminum.
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:57 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
That's what I did...used spare series panels to repair my tub and wings where they had corroded. I was going to buy all new aluminum but though why... when I had everything I needed already.
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Hand clean both sides ensuring oil or wax is removed.
Rotary wire brush both sides to remove surrounding paint and heavy oxidation.
Cut out oxidised edges.

Just befor welding (as ally very quickly starts to oxidize) scrup the surfaces with Scotchbrite and a quick wipe with acetone.

If concerned about distortion, try to clamp a heavy copper, stainless, or ceramic block, in intimate contact, to the backside.

Sometimes easier to add an extra layer at the back to avoid blow-through.

Have fun!
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
That is very true, aluminum is not as forgiving as steel is when it comes to welding. The brush cannot be used for anything other then cleaning aluminum.
That's what I read about cross contamination - I labeled them Aluminum.

------ Follow up post added May 29th, 2015 06:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiesel View Post
Hand clean both sides ensuring oil or wax is removed. Rotary wire brush both sides to remove surrounding paint and heavy oxidation. Cut out oxidised edges. Just befor welding (as ally very quickly starts to oxidize) scrup the surfaces with Scotchbrite and a quick wipe with acetone. If concerned about distortion, try to clamp a heavy copper, stainless, or ceramic block, in intimate contact, to the backside. Sometimes easier to add an extra layer at the back to avoid blow-through. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips. They go along with what I have been reading. I noticed the welds were a lot better on my last piece when I did a thorough flap disk -> stainless brush/scotchbrite -> acetone method. And very true about cutting out the oxidized parts.

I haven't used a heatsink yet - seems like the aluminum doesn't warp/move nearly as much as thin gauge steel.

------ Follow up post added May 29th, 2015 06:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
My 1/16" filler is actually 4043 - just looked at the reciept.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions