Trying to trace back temp fan switch connection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Trying to trace back temp fan switch connection

I recently became owner of a 94 D90 V8. Just north of the water pump on the hose there is a switch with a two blade male connection. There is nothing connected to in nor can I find anything disconnected that needs reconnecting. Roversnorth helped me identify that it's a temp fan switch. I'm curious to get into the cooling side because my truck temp gauge will go straight to high heat when at idle after about 20 minutes of driving. When driving, the temp gauge is cooler and I don't get any real heat off the heater either. I'm going to replace the thermostat and refill coolant but I wanted to see if anyone could help me with this plug issue.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

That switch is used for the early AC systems to control the AC condenser fan.
if you don't have AC, it just sits there doing nothing.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Matt your symptoms indicate you could have a bad fan clutch. Search on the forums for details but it's easy to test and see, one way being to see if there is any resistance when hot by carefully sticking a rolled up newspaper into the blades while running. If it easily stops the fan, you need a new one.

hth
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
That switch is used for the early AC systems to control the AC condenser fan.
if you don't have AC, it just sits there doing nothing.
Yes, I believe it is the high temperature cut off switch (normally closed) disengaging your compressor clutch.....essentially turning off the AC until the motor cools down.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I concur with all of the above.

Sounds like a bad fan clutch is causing your overheating problem. However, if you're also getting no output from the heater..... then also consider the possibility of a big air bubble in the cooling system. "Burping" the cooling system is pretty well covered if you do a forum search.

The temp switch... all modern A/C switches use them one way or another However, if you do an electric fan conversion, it's a very convenient option. Though you do have to change it for that use as the factory LR switch is a bit high of a temp for cooling fans. The good thing is a number of VW's used the same size temp switch, and lower temp options are available. IIRC I'm running a 180 degree switch right now.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fan, switch