trying to reattach ST tire carrier.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
trying to reattach ST tire carrier....

just had my stock tire carrier powder coated on my 1997 ST....really looks amazing but cant figure out how to get to the bottom bolt (closest to bumper on bottom hinge)... does the entire rear bumper have to be removed to access it? cant remember from the hasty removal... please let me know if im missing something.... thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
From memory, I think that one goes through from the wheel well and uses a nut on the outside.
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
ive been under that truck for 3 days.... nothing in the wheel well...it appears that the bolt disappears somewhere in the bumper.... please tell me im wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Steve,
I had my spare tire carrier painted as well and I know the problem you are having. I have a 94 D-90 and if it is the same carrier as mine, which I think it is, you have to put the bolt in the opposite way as it came out. Right behind the bumper you will see the hole that it needs to go into. This was the only way I was able to get it to work. You really can even see it because the carrier hides it. I can't seem to figure out how the head of the bolt ever fit in there anyway. I hope this helps. I have not had any problems with it so far.
Mike
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

I am not sure if the '97 ST is the same as the '95 ST, but I had to just go through this process to mount the lower roll cage d-pillar pieces. My bolts go all the way from the bumper to the wheel well and the nylock nut is visible from the wheel well. For the lowest bolt on the lower hinge, you have to remove the bumper. The upper one on the lower hinge point does not require the bumper be removed, but you have to undo the hinge bolt enough to just sneak the bolt past. I would also advise that you may have to swing the rear door out when you are putting in the upper bolt on the lower hinge point. It makes for easier alignment so that you can get the bolt all the way through.

Hope this helps. I would double check with someone who has done this dance with a '97 just in case it is different.

Cheers,

Hoss
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:56 AM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
thanks much for your help....yes it looks like i may have to take the damn thing off...seems like an awful lot of trouble for 1 10mm bolt!
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Well, its an awful lot of trouble, but just think the sense of accomplishment you will have driving down the road and looking in your rear view mirror with that big ass tire in the way of seeing anything out of the back of your truck.

Just priceless.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, carrier, tire, tire carrier