trying to buy my first defender.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
trying to buy my first defender....

and really need some help....

after searching for the last year for a yellow d90, i now have 2 to choose from and not sure which way to go.... any direction regarding this would be much appreciated...

car 1 - 95 d90, 152,000 miles, perfect condition, 99% rust free, $20,000

car 2 - 97 d90, 54,000 miles, very good condition but i did notice some oil seepage around the pan, also rust free for the most part(nc car), $32,000

please let me know what you think....any info regarding things to look for, stay away from, ask about, etc is much needed...

looking forward to learning much more about my new car...

thanks so much for your help...steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2005, 10:52 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
95 and 97 is a personal preference thing... stick or auto?

The 95 is priced a bit high for it's condition and mileage. What makes you say the 95 is perfect condition? How's the frame and bulkhead? Oil cooler lines? Have you driven it? Does it have A/C? Any mods? With that kind of mileage, I'd say $17K - $18K tops.

The 97 is a low mileage truck but that doesn't mean it's trouble free. A few people on this board bought low mileage truck and ending up spending a lot more to make it an efficient driver. Good price for 97s is usually in the mid $20K to $30K range (although low mileage, clean and great condition ones go way above that).

Like any used car, history and records are important. You could search this forum for common things to check when buying a Defender. There are tons of threads about this in the past.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Personally I would go for the '95 and stick the $12K into modding it for yourself and minor repairs. But then, I have a '95 and about $12K worth of stuff I want to do to it (and it's more like $30k).

Either way, welcome to the club, hope to see you in Richmond, maybe at the Mosaic Cafe? Hell of a Blue Burger there. Of course, if your name isn't about that place then I'm an even bigger tool than everyone says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2005, 11:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The 150k truck is probably the one at Bear Mtn, which looks like a well-represented truck. Its still to much money in my opinion, but thats subjective. I'd rather pay 15-16 for it, but it might not be havable at that price. By the same token, the other one is super-overpriced. You could refurb and entire truck for the 12k saved. The choice is really the auto or manual (and I'm biased against auto) but given a choice of the two, I'll take the high miler and fix it if need be.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

If the 150K truck is the one at Bear Valley I'm pretty sure they'll take 19K for it. I was up there the other day with a friend of mine and looked it over because his son was interested in it. It looks like its in pretty good shape - it drives well and hasn't been abused. Its not perfect and the top is going to need to be replaced at some point (highly recommend the Badger top - Ron Ward's is very very nice). One big advantage to the 95's over the 97's is no OBDII - you can actually diagnose and fix the pre-96 Rovers yourself much easier than the OBDII trucks.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
jack

yes it is the truck at bear valley... have you had many dealings with these guys? they seem very knowledgeable but are sticking to their guns on price...

glen
if there is a '97 anywhere that is under $30k at any price please let me know about it.. i cant get over some of the high numbers ive seen in the last 30 days on these vehicles... i missed a black 97 with 12k miles in charleston sc last week...the guy sold it for $60k?!?! truely crazy to me from the outside...but makes me think there MUST be something to this!! cant wait to find out!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafemosaic
..glen
if there is a '97 anywhere that is under $30k at any price please let me know about it.. i cant get over some of the high numbers ive seen in the last 30 days on these vehicles...
Patience is key. Search the for sale BBS in this forum. They can be had. Not as low miles as the one you've seen but they are out there. Don't look at Copley or RN... prices there are ridiculously high. I'm sure some people here will chime in about their 97s. If I'm not mistaken, Dennis Newmann(sp?) had a 97 that he bought for $22K or lower. It had 100K on the clock but it was apparently well taken care of.

Quote:
...i missed a black 97 with 12k miles in charleston sc last week...the guy sold it for $60k?!?! truely crazy to me from the outside...but makes me think there MUST be something to this!! cant wait to find out!
Like I said on my initial post, trucks with low mileage aren't really your best bet. Chances are, seals and gaskets are rotty with that less usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
jack

yes it is the truck at bear valley... have you had many dealings with these guys? they seem very knowledgeable but are sticking to their guns on price...

glen
if there is a '97 anywhere that is under $30k at any price please let me know about it.. i cant get over some of the high numbers ive seen in the last 30 days on these vehicles... i missed a black 97 with 12k miles in charleston sc last week...the guy sold it for $60k?!?! truely crazy to me from the outside...but makes me think there MUST be something to this!! cant wait to find out!

Trust Glen on the Low miles nightmare. Took me three years to get everything done. It is now for sale as I have moved back into the city and do not need a truck anymore. PM me and I'll shoot you the details. 31.5k on the clock under 30k ask....

EwS
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Yep, my 97 had just over 100k miles and I paid 17,800 fully loaded, ac full rack etc. It did need some minor tlc but it was a good truck. I just bought a Yellow 94 soft top with under 50k miles that needs to be put back together (had a started 4.0 swap) for $11,500. I cant really say much more about it as I am still trying to get it shipped to me but I think its mostly complete and 0 rust.

the bigest piece you have to have is patience. I lurked for quite a while on both my trucks to find what I wanted. I also think you will have alot more fun with a Defender as your second vehicle rather than your first. My 97 was a daily driver and while it was a good truck it didn't really fit the daily driver bill.
my 2 cents.
Dennis
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:14 AM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
wow dennis...thanks so much for the good words... yes im trying so hard to be patient but reading all of your posts and seeing the attachment you guys have for this vehicle makes it difficult to wait...

the D is gonna make my excursion and wrangler next to it look really sad...neither has a real soul...

where are you finding these low prices on these trucks? i missed another 97 today...33,500 for 60k miles.... no where near what you guys are saying is realistic...

ill keep watching...thanks for all the help!
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Ha, I bought a powerstroke Ex as my daily driver. I modded the hell out of it and it runs GREAT. I bought my 90 as I wanted a summer time convertable to toy with.
In any case here is my recipe;
1. Ebay, look at open auctions and look through completed items from time to time. After auctions end people tend to deal a little more. Also know how to bid snipe. Thats how I got my 97. Also set up a search so that it emails you when new items that match your search show up. This can be slightly delayed as they email you once a day.
2. Rovers North Website
3. www.lrx.com
4.www.traderonline.com
5. www.dealsonwheels.com
6. This site. (Its tough here as everyone here is an advocate so prices can be higher and the good deals are snatched up by others very quickly)
7. www.cars.com They proxy the classified ads for many local news papers across the US.

Of all those I would say the "deals" are found on either www.traderonline.com or the www.cars.com sites and occasionally ebay.
You are in a great position though, if you have toys already just wait and buy the right truck.
Thanks
Dennis

PS, I forgot to mention my most favorite up and comming website, www.craigslist.org . Go to any of the cities near you, or major metropolitan areas and search the for sale sections for "defender". I have gotten some REALLY good deals there on a few things lately. There are no 97s at least in Denver currently but there are a couple Defenders that are priced "ok" (in my opinion).
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I bought my truck from Bear Valley about a year and a half ago with 110k. The truck is rust free and I've had very few repairs to make, and all where consistant with the age and miles on the truck (water pump, clutch master cylinder, etc). Amazingly, the engine is free of oil leaks and the only oil leak in the drive train is the rear t-case output which is not bad enough to justify a repair. My wife actually purchased it for me as a birthday surprise, so I was little nervous since I didn't get a chance to look it over and ask questions. Bear Valley was good to deal with and my truck was as clean as advertised. $20k still sounds a little high, as I paid the same for mine almost two years ago with lower miles. Maybe there is more demand for yellow.
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:35 PM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
thanks buddy... by the time i called to make a deal it was gone at full price...

so disappointed... back to the drawing board....

appreciate the info on bvlr...ill move faster next time
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I looked around for 2yrs before finding something local that I really liked - and then went and paid too much for it. I had a hard time with the concept of 'buying sight unseen' and not driving it (I mean we are talking a used car ... and a 10yo one at that). I had driven a number of local ones around, but there were niggling bits here and there that kept me looking.
But I did get a nice rust free, leak free truck, even though it cost me more than it should have!
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM
cafemosaic
steven n
1997 D-90 ST, AA Yellow

Registry
thanks for the words...im gonna keep looking... it just seems that the prices are moving up not down... true in all parts of the country? is it because of winter coming??

not a factor where ill be taking it...SC
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
This is the best time to buy a ST. Prices for ST's are typically higher in the warmer months.

Old December 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
thanks for the words...im gonna keep looking... it just seems that the prices are moving up not down... true in all parts of the country? is it because of winter coming??
Not from what I've seen. The general trend has been down down down. As long as you avoid places like Copley that is. I dont really like to see ForSales anymore coz it just depresses me - those with realistic prices are _much_ lower than when I was looking. Area also has an effect - I was looking and bought in the PNW - less choice and much more expensive than here on the east coast (course, rust is a much bigger factor here too). I believe they will continue to fall as the 25yr import restriction gets nearer and comes upon us. YMMV. Good Luck in your search...
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My advice is to decide what type of Defender you want... Stick or Auto. There are advantages to both. Then you need to decide if you want a bone stock truck, slight modification to an extreme trail truck. Then search LRX, auto trader and eBay, not to mention this site.

Stop worrying over a few dollars, the first time some young dish-rag throws her underwear at you while she follows you home, it will be worth it. Read the stories under misc. chit chat.

Some of us got the steal of a century and some paid 10K too much. Buy the truck you want. The color you want and with the upgrades you want.

I paid a few dollars too much, but got the stuff I wanted, the color I wanted and the mileage I wanted.

Just buy the truck. You will love it, if not you can sell it. Don't look at it like an investment. You should get most or in some cases all of your money back if you want to sell it and you have time, if you have to dump it tomorrow you won’t.

Scott

Old December 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
My advice is to decide what type of Defender you want... Stick or Auto. There are advantages to both. Then you need to decide if you want a bone stock truck, slight modification to an extreme trail truck. Then search LRX, auto trader and eBay, not to mention this site.

Stop worrying over a few dollars, the first time some young dish-rag throws her underwear at you while she follows you home, it will be worth it. Read the stories under misc. chit chat.

Some of us got the steal of a century and some paid 10K too much. Buy the truck you want. The color you want and with the upgrades you want.

I paid a few dollars too much, but got the stuff I wanted, the color I wanted and the mileage I wanted.

Just buy the truck. You will love it, if not you can sell it. Don't look at it like an investment. You should get most or in some cases all of your money back if you want to sell it and you have time, if you have to dump it tomorrow you won’t.

Scott

I agree 100%.....Get the truck that "you" want.....I did...I probably paid 10K more than I should have but i got what "I" wanted.

-Jason

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Just remember - A D-90 is a lifetime truck - there aren't many other vehicles out there that can make that claim. If you get a good one and don't go nuts and sell it you can still be enjoying that thing 30 years from now. I remember seeing this old guy who lived around the corner from me down in Sandy Springs thirty years ago - he had an early civilian version flatfender jeep that he bought new in the late 40's. You'd see him bombing around North Atlanta in that thing with the windshield down, his white hair blowing in the wind and a big grin on his face well into the late 1970's. He used to say that old Jeep was more fun than all of the other cars he'd owned put together. I'm not sure he wasn't buried in the darn thing. In that persepective paying a few bucks more for a good truck is irrelevant. These things are infinitely maintainable and rebuildable - everything unbolts easily - in a world of unibodies thats a good thing.

I feel the same way about my 1966 and 1967 SIIA Land Rovers and my D-90. I look at cars in two ways - keepers and short term entertainment - and one of my mottos has always been that life is too short to drive boring cars. My two Series trucks and my D-90 are keepers, as is my 356 Porsche and my recently acquired 1972 BMW 2002 Tii. My 91 Range Rover Hunter would be a keeper except for the fact that its being displaced by the D-90.

Most other cars are sheer entertainment - fun to drive for a while - then try something else for the variety of it. I've owned NSU's, Fiats, early Volvos, lots of BMW's, Porsches, Mercedes (just to see what they were like) even a 57 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. I've even bought a Peugot in a weak moment - still don't know what got into me for that one. The common denominator is that I've had fun with every car I've owned - not a single one of them has been what anyone could classify as a standard boring transportation device (except maybe the Volvos) and I've never owned a Japanese car - coincidence?.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions