Trucklite LEDs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Trucklite LEDs

Trucklite makes a drop in LED replacement for the Model 60 that is in the front bumpers. Has anyone tried them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
As soon as the price drops to a reasonable level I'll buy them. Aren't they something like $500 for a pair?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
61rover
John Crouse

Registry
Trucklite LEDs

I saw them for $74 a piece at a truck supply place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just make sure they're 12v - I might ask you to pick me up a pair if they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
61rover
John Crouse

Registry
Trucklite

Here's where I saw them: http://www.levineautoparts.com/
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is it this one?

http://www.levineautoparts.com/mo60auledovs.html
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I don't know, I just can't see the worth in them. I can replace a lot of $1.50 bulbs for $75. I've been driving for close to 40 years and I haven't spent anywhere near $75 on bulbs in that time.
I don't even see the justification to save the electrical load, since adding up all your running lights is less than 2.5 amps total. Add in your stop lights and that's another 4.5-5 amps, but only for brief periods.
The $500 headlights are even crazier.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I justify them to myself on the basis that they are sealed from moisture. I haven't spent anywhere near 75 bucks on bulbs ever, but I have wasted many hours chasing water out of Rover light housings. The main issue though is bling.

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Sorry, I was thinking of the headlights by Trucklite, $500 is a lot of cash to drop for two headlights, I dont care how great they are.

As far as LED drive lights, I have replaced all my bulbs with cheapo LED bulbs from China on Ebay. They are about $7 for a pair or less and fit perfect and delivery is about a week from China. So far no problems through this last Winter.

The best upgrade was switching my dome light to a 40 LED array that plugs right in to the original socket, it's daylight in the cab with that light on.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You can get 93 110 and 94 90 front bumper signal lamps anywhere. They are just trailer lights.
Try these guys, they sell tons of types:

http://www.awdirect.com/

I switched out all the company trailer lights to LED with epoxy lined crimp connectors (just so they would last through a few winters without having to get redone) and I haven't had to mess with trailer lights since.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

I switched out all the company trailer lights to LED with epoxy lined crimp connectors (just so they would last through a few winters without having to get redone) and I haven't had to mess with trailer lights since.
I guess Southern California Winters aren't quite the strain on lights as New England Winters
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
I guess Southern California Winters aren't quite the strain on lights as New England Winters

No, that's for sure.
I lived in Hermosa Beach, and New England is quite different.

Up here you are lucky if you get one season out of trailer lights and wiring with the crap that comes from most trailer manufactures.
There is nothing more fun then getting pulled over at 2AM on the NJ Turnpike with a couple trailer lights out. I forget how much it cost me per light out, but after that the LEDs seemed cheap.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Thanks Mike, I forgot all about AW! That's a great price for the originals! I saved mine from my bumper swap, but it looks like they're worthless with new ones at that price! Good price on the LED's too, but IMO they would look absolutely terrible on a Defender. They are great on a trailer as you said though. Trailer lights around here don't last well either. It seems like just about every year one light or another is finicky. I don't use the trailers enough to warrant replacing everything at this point, but I have always planned to replace them sometime with sealed LED's.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

we keep them in both red, amber and white led which is the rage and have a few different companies that manufacture them that we sell for large tractors and trailers with water tight harnesses
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Sorry, I was thinking of the headlights by Trucklite, $500 is a lot of cash to drop for two headlights, I dont care how great they are.

As far as LED drive lights, I have replaced all my bulbs with cheapo LED bulbs from China on Ebay. They are about $7 for a pair or less and fit perfect and delivery is about a week from China. So far no problems through this last Winter.

The best upgrade was switching my dome light to a 40 LED array that plugs right in to the original socket, it's daylight in the cab with that light on.
Where'd you get that light?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

o.... to add to the post, I tried to track down a set of Trucklite (Rabolight-UK I think) rear LEDs that would fit the 94 soft top. I called and emailed everyone at trucklite U.S. and U.K. and they do not make a 12V 3 light (stop, turn and reverse) or 2 ligth (stop/running and turn) LED system. Heartbroken. If anyone knows who besides them may I please have the info :D.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If your housings are fine just buy the LED bulbs from www.superbrightled.com or some other place that sells direct bulb replacements.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWhitby
Where'd you get that light?
This is what I bought for the dome light. If you look around you can find all kinds of lights that may suit your need better. Today I noticed high powered LED light just like this one that I didn't see when I bought mine, it may be a better option.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White...Q5fAccessories
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And also don't forget, as silly as it sounds, just painting the inside of the existing housings with "bumper chrome" paint will really boost the light output.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Hans,
Since they are the same ligths as the GM truck bodies, I bought a set off of ebay and used the reflectors off of the GM Lights as they fit the 94 . Regarding LEDs do they make LEDs that make a 90 degree bend so that the LED light surface is facing rear?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions