Truck will not START ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Truck will not START ?

Got up this morning to a no STARTING truck ?

Truck started once but cut off, then truck sounds as if it's going to start but that's it, no real start ?

Any one know the location of the fuel relay, not sure if this is the issues but it's a start...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
javelinadave
-
-

You have to do a lot better than that. Is the starter clicking? Can you hear the fuel pump running? Do the headlights / horn work?
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
when to turn the key to the on position before turning the motor over can you hear the fuel pump come one. the relay for the fuel puump is in the passenger side seat box. I think there are two relays they are cube sized... they are at the back the seat box.
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Dave,

Sorry for such a short description of what is happening, just frustrated...

Yes starter is clicking, yes headlights / horn works, yes radio comes on, yes wipers work, just can not hear the fuel pump running, this is why I think it maybe the fuel relay but I could be wrong...

The reason for asking for the location of rely, I was told they are next to the gas tank (?), just did not think this was correct...
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:07 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Weldon,
Sounds like a fuse or the fuel pump relay. As NOSINKERPPILLIHP said, it is under the passenger seat. on a 94-95. On the 97 it is in the center console by the fuse panel. Hope that helps, good luck....Dave
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Weldon,
Sounds like a fuse or the fuel pump relay. As NOSINKERPPILLIHP said, it is under the passenger seat. on a 94-95. On the 97 it is in the center console by the fuse panel. Hope that helps, good luck....Dave
That's not where it is on a 94. It's under the dash, to the right of the other fuses. If you're sitting in the passenger seat, it would be in front of your left shin. A huge PITA to get to if you have A/C.
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The 95 is underthe passengers seat. Its a little silver cube, I think the one i replaced it with is BOSCH I am not sure I could check and get the number off if you needed me too. I was able to get mine at NAPA, they ordered it in the am and had it for me the next day at a fraction of what AB wanted not including shipping.
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Thanks guys,

I'm hoping it's just a fuse or relay, we did get a bit of rain last night & the floor boards had a puddle of water on them (mostly the passenger side) so moisture maybe the factor here ?

thanks again !
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I would try to dry everything off with a hair drier before I started changing things out............. Just an idea.....
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Dave,

I agree, luckily the rain has stopped & the sun is out, will help to dry things a bit, this is not the first time this has happened. Had to replace the distributor cap due to cracks & due to this being relatively new it can't be this again (I hope)...
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
good call. The passenger side seat box seems pretty contained from the elements but its a rover and they are all looser than a 2$ whore so perhaps some moisture got in. drying things out is cheaper, my bet is on the relay even if you can dry them out its not a bad idea to have a spare just in case
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Still no START on my truck ?

NOSINKERPPILLIHP, if you don't mind can you get the part # for the relay, also would you happen to know which of the two is the fule relay or sould I replace both ?

Got home late, did not have time to check the fuses / relay yet, will do this today, was hoping it was a moisture thing & with it sitting was hoping it would dry & then start, BUT NOPE, NO LUCK ON THAT ?
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I will check and post back but it will be this afternoon.

Follow-up Post:

http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/fuelpump.htm there is some research, founeded it after I googled the PN#

Its a BOSCH 0332014112
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

thanks on the info for the relay's, still not able to get thinks right, put new relay's on & it gave me a fault code of 88 (Code 88 - Purge valve leak), put the old relay's back, then cleared the code with no problem, code does not come back with old relay's ???

Now I think my battery is about to go, Sh%#...

May just get it towed, starting to think it's the fuel pump is bad, I'm still not hearing the buzz of the pump as you turn the key ?
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Fuse good? Mine for some reason got corroded, and other folks have shown that the socket for the fuse can also get messed up somehow.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
damn. well good luck. How many miles on your truck?
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Fuel pump fuse is good (inside fuse & fuse under the hood), I once read there a is re-set buttom behind the firewall, is this correct, if so what does it look like & how would I re-set this ?
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

having burnt out 2 fuel pumps in as many months on mine i would check the pump.disconect the conector behind the rear passenger wheel and check to see if you have a live feed there if you have its more than lightly your fuel pump

Old December 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Jimmy, is this the fuel pump I'm disconnecting, what am I dissonnecting, I see a black rectangle box with 3 lines going to it (fuel line etc) but which one do I dissconnect ?

Sorry for being such a putts, I'm not big on auto stuff ?
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Weldon, have someone turn the key to the to just before the starter turns the engine (key position 2) while you sput your ear up to the fuel tank skid plate listening. You may not hear it if it is not quiet near you. Another trick to try is to remove one of the lines from the fuel filter and again have someone turn the key to the start position and fuel will come shooting out of the hose. The Fuel filter is on the passenger side frame in front of the rear tire. It is a silver can about 4 inches long and about 2 inches in diamater with a hoes going in one side and another going out the other.

Once you figure out if you are getting fuel we can go to the next step.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start