Truck randomly dies... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Truck randomly dies...

OK, so after we bought our truck in February and drove it from Pennsylvania back to Colorado. On the longest day from Kansas just outside of Colorado Springs, the truck dies out of nowhere. I pull off and let it sit for a second. Start it up, and let it idle just fine. Try to put it in gear and give it gas, truck bogs and dies again. I have gas, about half a tank. Truck seams hot, but the needle is dead center. Tank does not seem to be vapor locked. Temperature outside is about 75. The truck sits for about 20 minutes while I talk to the country sheriff that just so happens to show up and start asking questions. Get in, starts right up. put it in gear, and away we go.

Nothing happens with driving around the city and in the mountains until Saturday. Had to go up to Longmont to pick up parts from South Denver. Go all the way on I25 120+ miles there and back. Get back into South Denver. Temperature is around 97. Same thing happens again. Truck bogs and dies out of no where. I let is sit. Needle is dead center. Engine bay seems hot again, but not out of the normal for the last several months of ownership. Check the tank, now I am about 1/4 tank. Let is sit for a few minutes. Start it up, take off again. 10 minutes later, truck dies again. Let it sit again. Try it again, and off I go. 10 minutes later, dies again. I finally get it home after it dying 4 times. Yesterday, wife and I decide that we wanted to spend the day in the mountains. Drove from Denver to South Park to Breckenridge and finally back to Denver. We did some moderate wheeling on several trails getting ready for the National Rally. No issues whatsoever.

Here is the list of things that I have done since owning the truck:
Oil change and filter with Rotella T5
New spark plugs and wires
New fuel filter
Trans fluid and filter change

On the list of things to do in the next 2 weeks:
Radiator drain with new thermostat.

One thing that happened that I am not sure could be a sign. On the way out of Pennsylvania, the radiator would not open on the turnpike. Now, it was 2 degrees with 90% humidity.

Any ideas on what my issue could be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Hmmm...others on this forum may have some ideas, but one thing I would recommend is get an IR temperature sensor (25 bucks or so for a good one at home depot) and check your engine temp, that will establish the actual temp your engine is running, my temp gauge sits right of center for 180 degrees, so you really can't rely on the original guage.
Joe
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Check fuel pressure and spark when it happens. You're gonna have to duplicate the problem in your driveway or shop to get an accurate diagnosis. Fire it up and let it run till it does it and then test it. Without being able to put my hands on it...I would replace to crank angle sensor strictly for the fact that it will kill the fuel and the spark when it goes or starts going. They are cheap and easy to do and while you're down there also check the wiring going to it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Tap on the fuel pressure regulator...located on the back of the fuel rail, has small vacuum hose coming out the back . They tend to stick when going bad. Symptom is usually like running out of gas...
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also the VSS is known to do that.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Also the VSS is known to do that.
Like everyone knows what a VSS is. LOL I sure don't
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

If the VSS is acting up then the speedo normally does too...but not always.
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:09 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Well, no issues with the speedo. I want to replace the coolant very badly anyway. I am almost certain that the PO never did this in the truck's lifetime. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the fuel rail vapor locking causing this kind of issue. When the truck starts to die, it acts like it is running out of fuel, but will idle fine. Kind of like the choke is open on a carb engine when the engine is hot. As soon as you put load on it, it bogs.

Thanks,
Dave.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I'm tell'n ya...get it to do it and put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it says. You're gonna chase you're tail if you don't correctly check things.
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
OK, OK, I will check that out too. Thanks guys.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor on T-case. Issue with GEMS trucks. One disco I I had did this just as you describe.
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I'm not say'n it isn't the VSS...just do a diag before you start throw'n parts @ it. Start with the cheapest and go backward...right?
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
No, I agree with you. I am also just thinking of doing some preventative maintenance. Now, the truck was not in bad shape when I bought it, but the PO and the dealership I bought it from also did not do regular and "good pratice" maintenance to the truck. I will check the fuel pressure here soon as I am worried about the fuel pump expiring as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions