Truck died in garage - is there a way to take it out of park? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:53 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Truck died in garage - is there a way to take it out of park?

I accidentally left my parking lights on my'97 D90 the other night and consequently, have a flat battery. The truck is stuck in the garage and there's no room to pull a vehicle in alongside it to jump start it.

Alas, I was compelled to ask for roadside assistance via the CAA. Of course, his truck has everything needed but when he hooked up his extra long jump leads, he couldn't get it to start. The battery is about a year old and aside from my stupidity in leaving the lights on, the vehicle starts first time, every time. Despite the CAA chap making several calls and trying a few different things (checking leads, fuses etc), he couldn't get it to turn over.

Does anyone know if there's a way to take it out of park so that we can push it out of the garage and have it towed to my mechanic or am I completely knackered? The headroom is tight, so there's no way he can hook it up and drag it out.

Fingers crossed that someone has an idea here or I'll have to plead with my mechanic to come out to my place.
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
A battery charger or jump leads should provide enough voltage to operate the park interlock solenoid. Then put it in neutral so you can roll it out and put a proper jump start on it. Or, battery charger etc.

Did the same thing this AM with my neighbor's Honda Element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedD90 View Post
I accidentally left my parking lights on my'97 D90 the other night and consequently, have a flat battery. The truck is stuck in the garage and there's no room to pull a vehicle in alongside it to jump start it.

Alas, I was compelled to ask for roadside assistance via the CAA. Of course, his truck has everything needed but when he hooked up his extra long jump leads, he couldn't get it to start. The battery is about a year old and aside from my stupidity in leaving the lights on, the vehicle starts first time, every time. Despite the CAA chap making several calls and trying a few different things (checking leads, fuses etc), he couldn't get it to turn over.

Does anyone know if there's a way to take it out of park so that we can push it out of the garage and have it towed to my mechanic or am I completely knackered? The headroom is tight, so there's no way he can hook it up and drag it out.

Fingers crossed that someone has an idea here or I'll have to plead with my mechanic to come out to my place.
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:58 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Couldn't you just swap the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a new battery and swap it in. Failing that, can you move the t-case shifter into neutral (probably not, but worth a try)?

Worst case, you can pull both driveshafts (note you will have to jack up a wheel or two to rotate the shafts to get to all the bolts) or pull the PTO cover on the T-case and remove the input gear (what I would do).
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks guys! I have checked a few things out and noted the following:

All lights come on with the exception of the brake lights. Could be that the brake light fuse and/or the brake light switch have gone? Could this be why we can't get the starter to even tick when trying to start? Will have a go again tomorrow morning but the advice on shifting gears is extremely helpful should it be necessary to get it to my mechanic who's luckily just up the road from me.

I'm hoping I don't have to get underneath the truck and fiddle with bolts. I'll report back tomorrow when I take a fresh look at things and sober up.
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If the brake lights do not go on, jump the brake light switch.

http://www.roverparts.com/Techtips/C...ut_of_park.cfm
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Buy a new battery and swap it in.
Or you could just borrow a similar size battery from a friend.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If the brake light fuse is blown it, won't crank.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
It is a blown fuse most likely. There is a 15A fuse that controls the shifter lock and starter. It is behind the little panel in front of the CDL.

Read this thread... I had an issue with my turn signals blowing this fuse... it should help....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...highlight=fuse
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:35 AM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I'm deeply appreciative of the D-90 Community coming to my rescue. My lad and I, in-between watching Arsenal slaughtering Spurs and hopefully Cardiff doing the same to Liverpool will check the known electrical faults highlighted here and in the other thread that Kenny provided to get my problem sorted out. Will report back as and when we source the problem and fix same. Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

This !!!

Thank you! KK! The reason why it blew is because the rear driver's side brake light lamp housing was full of water, the connectors having rotted as a result. We got those fuses that light up when they blow (really useful, them!) and only by chance with my son standing behind the vehicle while I backed it out of the garage and applying the brakes did he notice the brake light not illuminating.

Sometimes it pays to work in teams! Ha ha!

Anyhow, I'm going to bite the bullet and get myself a set of LED lights for the back. While I was checking the connectors, it is obvious that it's not only the bulb-side connectors that need changing out but the receiving-side too. Anyone know if the LED sets have these included or will I need to replace these with stock connectors?

Thanks for everyone's input and help. I've copied this reply to the original post just so that there is a link between these two helpful threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
It is a blown fuse most likely. There is a 15A fuse that controls the shifter lock and starter. It is behind the little panel in front of the CDL.

Read this thread... I had an issue with my turn signals blowing this fuse... it should help....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...highlight=fuse
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks Jeff! Where are these? Ha ha! Sorry mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Dont forget to yank out the solenoids!

-Jeff
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Cheers fella!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions