Truck can't even pass MD state inspection... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Truck can't even pass MD state inspection...

Off the top of my head the following are th issues (and the inspection stations response):

Hole in the floorpan under the seat (we donít do that)

Wheels need alignment (we donít know how to adjust camber)

Two nails in the right rear tire (we donít want to change your tire)

Leaking power steering (we donít know how to fix this)

Passenger rear seatbelt frayed (we donít have the part)

Wipers donít park (we donít know how to fix this)

WTF!!??

Advice? Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Off the top of my head the following are th issues (and the inspection stations response):

Hole in the floorpan under the seat (we donít do that)

Wheels need alignment (we donít know how to adjust camber)

Two nails in the right rear tire (we donít want to change your tire)

Leaking power steering (we donít know how to fix this)

Passenger rear seatbelt frayed (we donít have the part)

Wipers donít park (we donít know how to fix this)

WTF!!??

Advice? Please?
1. Cut a piece of scrape metal with some tin snipes and rivet it in and seal it with silicone.

2. Take it to a tire shop

3. Take it to a tire shop

4. Do you need this to pass the inspection?

5. Burn the frayed edges with a lighter

6. Do you need this to pass the inspection? It only rains once and a while anyways.

Old February 28th, 2007, 05:28 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

md inspection is a biotch, i made the previous owner drive down and get it inspected before i bought it, they failed it bc the rotors where .7 mm too worn, i laughed... I've heard some horrow sotries though, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You can't adjust camber on a rover?
What are they talking about.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

What kind of place were you getting this inspection done? Is it something that multiple mechanics can do for you, or is it a state run inspection center? This sounds like a dealership debacle to me, trying to get money out of you.

The alignment adjusts just like any solid axle 4x4 since the late 40's. Tires aren't anything special either, they're just normal tires.

The hole in the floorpan, did they give you any more details than that? It's not like you're going to have any rust holes, it would be a factory hole most likely.

The wipers, that could be a few things, but once again it's nothing new and different on this truck. Should be an easy diagnosis for a competent mechanic.

I'd just take the truck as-is to a non dealership place first, and see what they say.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

i didnt pass NYC inspection because my rear light had a hairline crack in it. but this was inspected at the LR dealership. so i took the truck to this tiny garage down the road that 2 guys work at, and it passed with flying colors!

see, all you need to do is fine the right place that WILL pass it. small garages usually will pass it because they don't look over everything with such details as large shops do.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Holy crap try a different shop! I've heard that MD is a bitch thank god I live in VA. If you are up near Reisterstown try one of the shops there. They should be use to Rovers since Treasured Motorcars takes the rovers they work on someplace else to get inspected.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Hell, get a P.O. Box here, lol. They don't have ANY inspections here. I've seen several trucks with no windows at all and no exhaust. The cops look disgusted and roll their eyes. It amazing what different parts of the country are like.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Here in Michigan it's the same. No inspections of any kind. About ten years ago there was emmisions testing required for registration, but for what ever reason they got rid of that and now there is nothing required.

Old February 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

I used to live in Glen Burnie MD. I had a Toyota PU well past it's prime. It passed. Some of that should be fixed anyway...But then try a different place. I know it's expensive though. How much did they charge you?

Their inspection credentials can be revoked. Sometimes the cops test them. But fix as much as you can and try again. If it's not obvious, and could be "understandably overlooked" you should be okay.
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:23 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, all...
(admission: I'm in the middle of starting a business, and all the other expenses coming in are bewildering anyway... I thought this would be fine for a little while at least, and the news yesterday - particularly stressful day anyway - was a bit more than I had left to deal with... just buyer's remorse on top of knowing I bought a truck that was cutting a fine line between unique and unecessarily maintenance intense).

The shop is the local shop, not the dealer. They're used to Fords and Chevy's, and generally don't like different. I figured it wouldn't matter, but was told both of their "techs" basically refused to try to work on it. I can understand not being able to replace the seatbelt, fine, or wanting to do body work, but incapable of doing the alignment - WTF? Refusing to change the tires (they sell tires) - WTF? Refusing to attempt to clean up the power steering - WTF? Refusing to diagnose the wiper issue - WTF!?

Then I called the LR dealership and was told that, basically, parts are hard to come by, and these old trucks are difficult to maintain. They have most mechanical things, but little else (including wiper park switch). The parts guy was almost sympathetic that I bought it.

The tires and alignment I can take care of elsewhere. The bit about rust, seatbelt, and wipers I am a bit concerned with. I'll sort it out - eventually. I'll go and pick up the truck and get temporary tags, sort the issues over the next week or two, and take it elsewhere for inspection.

Just one of those things where when you're down, someone's got to come by and give you a fat kick in the head. :

Wipers - LRdirect sells a park switch, but I am not sure it fits the RRC- thoughts? ECR provided the part number in another post, and it matched LRdirect, though it was suggested for a D90 same year... I'm tempted to just order 2 - if parts are scarce, I might as well stock up, eh?
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

There are tons of places that sell RR parts.. I think the 1995 is an akward year from what I remember though, a lot of unique parts to that one.. but try atlanticbritish.com, roversnorth.com, dap-inc.com ... all of them should have what you need. Plus there are people parting out RRC's all the time so you can pick up cheap parts I'm sure... we were just taking apart one (1993) last night in NJ.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

There's no shortage of parts for Range Rovers. Ryan mentioned all the good places above. Another is http://www.grampas.biz . Don't worry. These trucks have a big following.
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You got off easy! Those are minor things.

Call Mike at Land Rover West Chester in PA. He is a "classic" parts dealer and can get whatever you need. And when you figure out how to fix the wipers parking thing let me know as mine started doing it just recently.

Will Tillary will have the seat belt for you.

Allignment? Kidding right? Just adjust the track rod.

Buy a new tire or put down the spare.
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Don't know alignments, but know it can be done... just not by this particularl group of rednecks.

Who's Will Tillary?

I think it's the "park switch", but will let you know what I find. If I have to buy a new motor I will.

Thanks for the tip about Land Rover West Chester in PA. I'll be calling him shortly.

I suppose of all things it was the bit about the rust (suggested fix above) and the seatbelt which I didn't (or don't) know how to source... though a shoulder pad on each of the rear belts will hide everything well enough. I just wasn't in the frame of mind to hear "this thing's nothing but trouble... my techs refuse to work on it... we won't change or plug your tire."
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Check here on the for sale board or discoweb.org on the for sale board for Will's contact info. He parts out lots of trucks.

And tell Mike M. at LRWC that ron says Hi and thanks!

Ron
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Will Tillery
willtillery@roverguy.com

Alignment is easy, can be done by shop or by yourself in the driveway...
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
jaguiler
John A
2006 - LR3

your issues do seem rather minor - you are lucky - I have seen and had much worse in MD -

as far as the floor boards go - if it is a bad spot - you can have it cut out and have someone weld in a new piece or a scrap piece.... then paint it properly. It should not be that big of an issue.

It sounds like you are on the right track now....

what part of MD are you in ?
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'm on the eastern shore - Kent Island. Well, technically, I'm in Beltsville (work) - hey daytime neighbor!
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Matt,

Clean up the power steering leak with some degreaser yourself. I once put a teaspoon of brake fluid in my 89 classic's steering and the leak went away for two years. The place I have had the best luck with locally for inspections is the Exxon station across West St from Annapolis Mall. The NTB on Defense Highway next to Home Depot will take care of the alignment and nails. That Exxon passed my 93 Posche 911 turbo with a "cat test pipe" instead of a catalytic converter. The guy said something to me about it and winked-sounds like the kind of place you need. By the way the Porsche also passed MD emissions without a cat to the amazement of my mechanic and I. The unfortunate part of taking it elsewfere is you have to pay the $65-$70 fee again as opposed to showing them the fail sheet and your repairs. Should be over on the Island tomorrow pulling my props and dropping them @ Black Dog Propellor's. If you are around give me a ring maybe we can catch lunch or something.
Doug
410-353-8240

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection