Troubleshooting: Turn Signals and Flashers not Working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:17 PM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
Troubleshooting: Turn Signals and Flashers not Working

Yesterday noticed my headlights work, but not my turn signals or any other lights on the exterior.

The lights are newer LED. Need help from the forum on the top 3 steps to begin the troubleshooting process. I have already checked the fuses and they are fine.

Not sure if this matters, but the same day i replaced two burned out dash bulbs so had that area of the dash apart for 20 minutes while changing out the bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:36 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRColorado View Post
Yesterday noticed my headlights work, but not my turn signals or any other lights on the exterior. The lights are newer LED. Need help from the forum on the top 3 steps to begin the troubleshooting process. I have already checked the fuses and they are fine. Not sure if this matters, but the same day i replaced two burned out dash bulbs so had that area of the dash apart for 20 minutes while changing out the bulbs.
Ground; I had the same issues until I replaced my light grounds with a bus bar and a direct link to the battery negative. I'd start there, bus bars are cheap
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:29 PM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
Thanks JT.

Does each light have an individual ground where it is located on the truck or is there one ground back in the engine area? Exact location would be helpful.

Did you mount the bus bar in the engine area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Also try your headlight switch arm - if you get no dash lights, chances are your other lights don't work - those things are fidgety, you can have headlights, and no dash/rear lights....generally a ground issue though
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:41 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Thanks JT. Does each light have an individual ground where it is located on the truck or is there one ground back in the engine area? Exact location would be helpful. Did you mount the bus bar in the engine area?
I mounted a blue sea bus bar right above where the harness goes into the firewall.

After that I tracked the headlight looms back to where there was a splice and I cut them and re ran them to the bus. I took a 12 gauge wire and ran it to the bus under the body and into the battery box.

Planning a blue sea terminal there as well for my aux heated seats and my eventual radio.

I also bought new steering column switches for everything (even the fog light switch I no longer use) just to be safe.

I think I may re-run all lights on relays this spring, but for now it was a sure fire fix

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2016 05:49 PM ------

Quote:
Thanks JT. Does each light have an individual ground where it is located on the truck or is there one ground back in the engine area? Exact location would be helpful. Did you mount the bus bar in the engine area?
sorry, yes, all lights should have individual grounds. I found that if I leaned on the light housings they would ground on their mounting screw. It wasn't super reliable for me so I just re-ran the grounds to be safe.

Honestly if I had to wire a defender id do it like a boat and isolate everything. Common loom be damned

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal