Trouble with Hub Seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2013, 02:35 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Trouble with Hub Seal

Having trouble installing hub oil seals as I am not sure which way these go.

Markings on this side of the seal say "This way to stub axle". Don't know if it means that side facing into the hub looking back out along the stub axle (hard to install this way due to the soft rubber collar that sticks up) or facing the stub axle as you slide the hub onto the spindle.

This way would be easier to install but after watching a youtube video this may not be correct.

Could not find anything in any of my manuals and the old seal that came out is a more conventional seal with a flat side. These are genuine seals from Rovers North, part number FTC 4785.

And I guess while I am at it, what is the thinking about removing the brake disc mud shields? Mine are kind of bent up and rusting. figure they may just fall off before too long.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Brett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I think you are right Jeff. I took the seal and test fitted it onto the seal race/collar and it seemed to fit best as you suggested.

Also marked on the seal is "Fit to Depth 4mm". 4mm leaves that soft rubber bit in the first picture sticking up proud of the hub to most likely rub on the axle spindle flange thingy. That bit must be there to keep out some of the dirt and what not from the actual seal lip???

Brett
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I tried them both ways once on my truck, it didnt seem to matter. Plenty of red clay and mud on the outside, nice clean grease on the inside. Those are nice seals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions