trouble starting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
tuscany
john conforti

trouble starting

defender 90 - 94 I'm having trouble with the engine sputtering while driving and intermitently not starting. I've had all the usual tune up stuff done and changed gas filter. It's better but not great. The engine always started right up: now it sputters while trying to start. Ihave to keep the ignition on while the engine tries to kick in with enough gas. My mechanic is pretty confused and he usually knows what he is doing.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany
defender 90 - 94 I'm having trouble with the engine sputtering while driving and intermitently not starting. I've had all the usual tune up stuff done and changed gas filter. It's better but not great. The engine always started right up: now it sputters while trying to start. Ihave to keep the ignition on while the engine tries to kick in with enough gas. My mechanic is pretty confused and he usually knows what he is doing.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
I had the same symptoms last week (another thread) and got some great help from members here to pinpoint the problem

Mine was caused by me power washing the underside and soaking the tank top where the connections reside for the gas level sensor and (more importantly) the fuel pump. Two days of drying out helped but after braking hard the engine sputtered and stopped. I guess some water is still up there and slopped forward over the connections. I'm going to blow dry it out this weekend.

At any rate, yours sounds like a fuel pump issue also
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

$1 says it's your ignition control module. Do you have an L shaped bracket mounted behind your coil with a 3-wire harness connecting a to a small rectangular box? If not, you need it -- STC 1856 is the part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Yes check the ignition first, it does sound like the ignition control module. Look for loose connections near the ignition control module and the coil. Your mechanic should be able to test to see if you have a good spark. If you also smell fuel in the exhaust after it cranks a few times then that is a good indication that something is wrong with the ignition circuit because of the unburnt fuel. If you don't smell fuel then check to see if you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to "on". Check your fuel pressure it should be at least 32psi at the fuel rail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting