Trouble shoot diff with out removing? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Trouble shoot diff with out removing?

Hey all,
I'm tracking down a grinding, bearing/gear sand in my moving bits sound that I have had for a while. I always thought it was in the transfercase but I beginning to think it may be the front diff preparing for detonation, but I have never had a diff go bad. stock open diff. CV's seem good.

Here is what I know:
1. No play in the pinion flange.
2. Put her up on jack stands and ran it up to 60mph...no real sound, I think it only happens under load. but I was nervous and it was loud under there
3. Since my stereo broke I noticed that the sound only really occurs in straight line travel, or left turns, up hill (load) and at speed 45mph+. But will occure rarley at other times even on right turns but you get the point.
4. When I have both front tires off the ground and turn one... I can feel a lot of gear clunk as it turns, like I can feel the gears more than I think I should... but I may be hyper sensitive at this point, and I donít have another landy to compare to.
5. some metal on the magnet drain plug in the front but nothing crazy. Although there was a good deal when I installed the magnet after the first drain.
6. I do have a front end wobble (see "mystery wobble" thread) I'm trying to track down as well... could be related. I have decided to change out all the POS polybushings and hope.

I'm trying to avoid removing the 3rd member because I'm lazy and my truck has been a PIA lately... what do you all think? Should I just pull it? Coudl these symptoms be diff related, or would there be more?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

man its pretty easy to pull but could be a wheel bearing.
Tear into it [peace of mind] plus why wait for bigger repair bills
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Sounds like a ujoint to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Remove each driveshaft one at a time (engage diff lock to drive) and you can isolate it to the front or rear. Put a wrench on all the bolts and make sure everything's tight.

But they really are easy to pull.

charles
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
D90user
steve

Not a ujoint or wheel bearing. All are new, all tight.

Guess I'll pull it.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
revorder
JP McInerny

You mentioned you always thought it was in TC. It could be the Emergency brake drum shoes rubbing inside drum. It is good to clean once in a while and adjust correctly. JP
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
D90user
steve

Update:
I checked the parking brake drum.. AOK.

The sound is worse in front wheel drive. But the noise is still present in rear wheel drive but no where near as dramatic. U-joints seem to be fine, it is a DC shaft. With just the front shaft in the noise occurred in 2nd through 5th while with both shafts it only happened 4th- 5th.

I pulled the front diff. Oil did not look so good. Fine metal shavings on magnet. Spider gears look good no obvious bits missing. Ring and pinion look great. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm betting it is a bad bearing. I'll check it out more in the morning. Pinion does not wiggle.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm considering just getting a new 3rd and calling it good, I hope that will solve it. Good excuse for a truetrac

Cheers
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am having a very similar problem with my coil 88 truck.. Mine runs good w/ the front d-shaft in but with the back one in, it makes a bearing noise in 4th and 5th on deceleration.... I changed out the lt 230 thinking it was that then I just changed out the 3rd member and its still f^&kin there... I have new bearings and u jounts but I am stumped.. Let me know what you come up with. I do have a shimmy now in the steering wheel so its driving me crazy..
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are your driveshafts out of phase Randy?
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure? Do you mean the angle? Would that cause a bearing/grinding noise on deceleration?
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was reading and THe shop manual states that the rear shaft should be in phase and the front shaft should be out of phase... Is this true?
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Pardon my stupidity but what do you mean by in or out of phase?
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The phase relates to the offset and angle. You can calculate what it should be. There is a good write up on pirate about this issue in the rover section. I forget which is supposed to be out of phase on a series, but I know one of them is.

If yours was taken apart and reassembled incorrectly it can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. it is an often overlooked issue (along with bad spline wear).

Best,

Ron

Phase means that the splines are not alligned such that the front and back are the same, rather it is twisted so that the ends are out of phase.
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

So this is just how the two halves of the drive shaft are assembled?
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron, my tuck actually has a complete defender drive train with an lt77s and r-380. then goes right to a set of rangie axles.. So as per d-90 specs, I think the front shaft should be out of phase.. If anyone finds it on pirate, let me know..

Randy
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:04 PM
D90user
steve

My front shaft is in phase (meaning that the yolks are in the same place down the axis of the shaft). I know they should be out of phase on a front shaft (per LR manual) but mine is a custom double cardon. Is it OK for a DC shadt to be in phase or should it be out of phase (or phased?)

Sorry to hear about your noise Randy, these can be so agitating

Old November 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes, a DC shaft is a different story... Could this be a loose wheel bearing also?
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
D90user
steve

I thought it would not matter in a DC shaft.

All 4 corners have new bearings.

Randy- It is kind of worrying me that when you replaced you front diff your sound was still there. What does is you sound/vib like?
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No, I replaced the rear diff since when I removed the rear d-shaft, the noise goes away. the diff change did nothing. I am now thinking its maybe the driveshaft or rear wheel bearing or something.. I still dont know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin