TRICKLE Charger? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

TRICKLE Charger?

I am an original owner of a 1993 911 in my garage. I don't drive it every day, less in the winer. After the early years of having dead batteries off and on, It has a trickle charger hooked up to the lighter. I have used this for years. It works beautifully. Maintains the battery. 911 always starts STRONG.

I don't drive the Defender every day. More then the 911, but not every day. Sometimes it seems to have a slow start the first time in the winter. The Battery is fairly new - I think the problem is lack of driving, and the cold.

A friend told me I should look at a Solar powered Trickle Chargers - since I keep the Defender in the driveway. These things are pretty cheep, and after looking at a few on the web I thought it might be a good thing to try.

HOWEVER, I found out that in order for them to work, I need to have a lighter that is live when the key is OUT of the ignition - for the Solar Charger to send power to the battery when the truck is off. I found out that the Defender's cirgarette lighter is not active when the key is out, and I am not going to leave the key in it, while parked outside in the driveway

Has anyone made their lighter HOT all the time? How hard is that to do?

ALSO Because the battery is under the seat, I could connect to the battery directly without going in to the engine or thru the lighter. I know they make 12V plug in ports that I could hook to the battery and then snake the wire out from under the seat. I just don't know if the idea is really worth it.

Perhaps I should just drive my truck EVERY DAY

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

What I would do is either wire up a new cigarette lighter by running the wires from under the seat, out the side of the box (toward the trans) and up through the center removable panel, then mount the lighter in the center console. You could also mount either one of those or something like this right in the front of the seat box...

Just a few ideas.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:04 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

just put a battery shutoff (screw type) on the hot lead. Most classic car enthusiast use them for cars that are not driven much. You disable power with a few turns of the hand and enable it the same way.
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Flagg,
I have a similar problem on my older Rover - maybe I'll look into the trickle chargers too - or the battery shutoff.
Here's a link to a cig lighter thread - http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...read.php?t=188 I installed a couple cig lighters, one is hot thru a Painless Fuse Block . http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=70217

Painless also has disconnect and shutoff items too.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

for outdoor storage, I'd use the battery cut off switch as well. plenty of choices and easy to install.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I don't think I want to do the Battery cut off switch......it is not that I drive the D90 THAT infrequently. But the car will now sit for a few days here and there. Maybe a week at the most some time. And I don't think that is good for the battery - especially in the winter.

It happened when I started my own business and now work from home. I do not drive NEARLY as much........

Wouldn't a battery cut off switch mean that I had to remove the seat and get to the battery every time I drove it? Also - would this not kill the clock and radio ever time?

I think I am going to look in to making a second 12 volt connector.

OR

How hard can it be to make things so the lighter is always hot even without the key? I bet that is not impossible either?

Still thinking on this - but I am thinking that a solar trickle charger would really be a great thing for me to maintain my battery!

Thanks for everyones opinions..........Flagg
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I agree...leaving a battery in the cold, unused for extended periods, is not ideal.

I also want to go the solar route but in a more permanent installation: I want to glue a thin panel to the sunroof and run a wire over the headliner and down to the battery.

Now, the panel ideal for this is the new fangled, flexible, $$$ kind. So, I may just use those that you let sit on the dash plugged into the lighter.

With a circuit diagram, you can easily trace the wire from the cigarette lighter and run it straight to the battery. Better yet - as I'm sure the wiring is only adequate - you may want to replace it with a thicker gauge.

As for removing the seat to access the battery - another bonehead engineering example from our LR friends. Yes, perhaps it helps if you're wading, but for those vehicles used in a more civilized manner there is nothing like a battery where it belongs - up front.

Now, as there is no space to fit one correctly (at least not easily) here's a solution: run two cables from the battery to a block in the engine bay and there you have it - a remote battery access point, perfect for jumping and attaching other sources. You can even enclose the block in a plactic box to keep it dry - if you're anal about those things - and attache a fuse block as well.

Of course, you can run the cigarette lighter wiring to this block as it's easier to run it thorugh the bulkhead than through the interior.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Has anyone used these products?

http://www.thebatteryminder.com/
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I use one of these:
http://www.batterytender.com/

Works really well. I don't drive my truck but a handful of times in the winter.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Thanks David,
My Defenders don't get out much in the winter too.

I have read a couple reviews of both the batterytender and the thebatteryminder - both seem to have good reviews. Here's a link to one review http://www.batteryweb.com/pdf/Which_Charger_is_Best.pdf

According to their website http://www.thebatteryminder.com/agmo...plus-p-62.html

Thebatteryminder is:

"specially adjusted BatteryMINDer PLUS is designed to maintain Optima, Odyssey and all known brands of AGM sealed "dry" batteries at full charge, without ever overcharging. Special adjustment ensures complete compliance with battery manufacturer's exact specifications for cyclic long term non-use storage"

I think I'll try thebatteryminder as I have Optima batteries - I'll keep you posted.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you ever get a trickle charger? I need one. Not sure what to get.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Did you ever get a trickle charger? I need one. Not sure what to get.
I did - bought the Batteryminder and it works as advertised.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Paul
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I use these little solar chargers from Harbor Freight. I have one in my backhoe & in a 10 wheeler dump truck. They work great ! In my D90, I put in a power port (looks like a cig lighter) on the seat base (battery box) top-side, just left of the drivers seat. I mostly use it to run my portable GPS, charge my phone, but you could plug the solar charger into it too.

Dennis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions