Travel with spare Fuel Pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Travel with spare Fuel Pump?

Hey guys,

I am trying to make traveling in my NAS Defender 110 to remote locations more reliable. For this I am building a short spare parts list to carry with me on these remote locations. So far I really only have a full set of belts, coolant hoses, and fluids. My questions is should I carry a replacement fuel pump? How difficult would it be to replace on the trail without a lift? Am I right in assuming that you have to drop the tank to access it? Anything else you think is a must have?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm a strong fan of avoiding problems with proactive repairs. Now is the time to replace things like heater/radiato hoses, oil cooler hoses etc so what's on the truck is as good as possible before you set out. Getting home is far more important than any destination!
I'd include alternator and water pump, filters, in any parts kit.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:26 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Is this the right fuel pump by the way? http://www.roversnorth.com/p-4864-pr...ender-110.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Assuming the pump is in the tank as on the 1997 D90'S,

The fuel pump in the tank can be a major pain to get to even in the best of conditions, especially if the tank is nearly full. Hoses to disconnect, rusted bolts securing the tank skid plate in position, etc. Why LR did not make the fuel pump/level assembly accessible from a port in the floorboard of the vehicle is surely an important oversight on their part.

IF I were in your situation, I would take the time to do exactly that, create a port so the the assembly is accessible from the rear floorboard. This process will still require that the tank be removed, careful measurements take to locate the center of the proposed opening, careful cutting and fitting of the port cover (be sure to leave room to work the screw-down lid off) and proper sealing to keep out fumes and water. Quite a task, to be sure, but the payment of a failed pump, easily replaced on the trail......priceless.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:47 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Hmmm...sound advise. I was surprised not to see a port either like in the D2. Seems like preventative maintenance is a good idea with the fuel pump. When is end of reliable life of the pump? When should it be replaced preventively?
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

One thing that I have heard about high pressure fuel pumps, in the tank, it is the fuel keeps them cool. Therefore to promote a long life for them, keep the fuel level at 1/4 tank or greater.
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Is the injector pressure used by the V8 entirely created by the fuel pump sitting in the tank or is it more of a recirculation pump?
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
carry spare relays, I have a spare pump on the shelf. A defender fuel pump isnt a field repair IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, spare