Transmission wobble noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916
Transmission wobble noise

I have this strange transmission wobble noise.

When I start the truck and push the clutch in the noise is very quiet and almost impossibly to hear. When I let off the clutch the noise gets loud. When the engine is cold it sounds more like a ticking noise, but it also feels and sounds like a bearing wobble. So I think it is clutch related or possibly the input shaft bearing to the transmission? Could the flywheel he warped?

Since it makes the noise when the clutch is not engaged, the clutch is against the flywheel. When clutch is engaged itís not hitting the flywheel, so the noise is basically gone. I don't think its anything terrible. Its been doing this for a month now. And I drove it to The Winter Romp, and back and also wheeled it last weekend. I also have to drive it to VT next weekend so I think its fine to drive on for now.

I am dropping the tranny this Saturday to check it out. Would be good to know what to look for if you have any advice.

Follow-up Post:

One other bit is that when I was wheeling it at the Romp I noticed 1/2/3 gears made the noise. When I put it in 4th gear the noise went away. Now 4th gear is on its own shaft right?

1955 Series I
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
It sounds like probably the small tapered roller bearing between the input and main shafts. When you engage 4th gear you directly couple the input gear to the mainshaft and that bearing becomes stationary. It is not uncommon for the bearing between the input and mainshafts to go at higher mileages, especially if the transmission oil is not serviced regularly. If you let it go too long, it will disintegrate and weld itself to the mainshaft. When this happens, the mainshaft can start to float and the synchros will begin grinding while shifting. If you catch it soon enough, the box will probably be rebuildable. If you let it go too long, it will ruin lots of parts.

Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Sounds right to me. My 300Tdi box suffered that fate early in life, but it survived without other damage.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions