Transmission Vibes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2006, 01:25 PM
EdF
Ed Freeman
2000 90 TD5

Transmission Vibes

I recently bought a 2000 90 TD5 which apart from an annoying vibration, I'm very happy with. It's got a low mileage but was used by the previous owner for some offroading, accessing hilly land and it's seen some mud. It came with very big MT's and now I've changed them to AT's I've realised the MT's were hiding the vibration, being 'knobbly' on the road. The vibration starts at 18mph right up and feels like driving over a finely corrugated road. It seems worse and becomes noisy under 'pulling' acceleration. I've recently had the Ashcroft (Discovery 2) transfer gears fitted and I assume Ashcrofts did their usual good job so I don't suspect the transfer box. With the t.box in neutral there is no vibration at all going up through the gears, so I believe it's definitely drivetrain related and it also does it freewheeling down my blacktop drive with both boxes in neutral. When I bought the 90, it had a new front driveshaft (propshaft in UK) and two of the bolts on the drive flange were damaged, indicating to me that the original propshaft had terminal damage. Was anything else damaged...? I'm going to remove the front driveshaft to see if it makes any difference (driving with difflock engaged) but what is worrying me now is that today I started to get a 'chinking' noise from the main gearbox(?) in neutral or in gear with the clutch depressed (so not clutch springs), during gearchanges at times. It drives okay otherwise. There's no play in the UJ's and no up & down play if the driveshafts are pushed/pulled. I'm at a bit of a loss diagnosing these things and can only think of getting to the LR dealer (arrrgghhh!!) to see if they can pinpoint it. It has new, good quality tyres. Any ideas welcome.. I wondered if the 'corrugated road effect' may be due to a tooth missing somewhere..? It's too annoying to ignore, I'm afraid..

Follow-up Post:

Just got back from a quick spin without the front driveshaft and all vibes and noises have gone... As the driveshaft is new, but not a Land Rover part, there seems little point in buying a new one. Do I try fitting it in a different place, check the differential gear teeth (oh no....) or all of the above..??

Follow-up Post:

Just had a message on another forum that maybe the UJ yokes are misaligned. Had a look at them and I think this may be the answer. Trouble is, I can't find any info on how they should be aligned. I have the LR workshop manual CD but it just says to refit as it came off.. I'm told the yokes are aligned differently for a TD5 but can anyone help, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Drive shaft may need to be balanced. Any drive line shop should be able to do that for a minimum charge as long as they don't have to take it off. They just spin it and add stick on weights just like a tyre.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
EdF
Ed Freeman
2000 90 TD5

Thanks for that... Drive line shop?? This is rural Inverness-shire in the Scottish Highlands. We don't have drive line shops!! Good suggestion though, if only... Anyway, I've found the problem - I hope. The front driveshaft, being recent, still had a label on it identifying it as a 'Hardy Spicer' make, complete with serial and typre numbers. So I called them and after 3 calls to different depots got someone who knew what he was talking about.. (We had nothing in common...) The driveshaft I've just taken off was from a 300TDi model and is 20mm (3/4") shorter than it should be. Not only that, it was made by Hardy Spice Hindustan, who used to be allied with Hardy Spicer UK but are no longer... You wanna know something, I guess the maker is the best option! he couldn't explain why it gave off a vibration, though, apart from it being too short, so maybe with the slightly bigger tires it was fully extended. Seems there's under 2" (45mm) of movement on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If it's too short by 20mm, it might be overextended and not enough of the slip joint is engaging. That could cause vibrations.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission