Transmission temperature gauge - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, the true-trac is a gear-driven limited slip, so that COULD cause it to have more gear noise at times.

Did you also install a new ring and pinion? You did remember the fluid in the differential too, correct?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Nope no ring and pinion. My cross pin (shaft) was broken. But that was it. Everything else looks pretty clean. The bearings where changed also.
Also we did remember fluid.
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

hmm I would have him recheck the R&P they may not be set up right and causing the gear noise.

Check this out for the engine light

http://www.defendersource.com/faq/En...lt.html#Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:17 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Thanks guys. This morning when I drove it into work it was not nearly as noticeable. I will have him look at the r/p also. Do they take time to "break in" or loosen up? I am fairly sure its the noise it supposed to make. I am however so tired of dealing with it I might be over exagerating.

Mike thanks for the stuff on the lights. Apprecaite it.
Larry
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, I don't think that it should make any noise, I just had a detroit locker put in the rear and other then it clicking evry now and then when cornering it makes no noise. I have been in a couple trucks with True Tracs and I don't think they made any noise. I am not sure but did it come with special diff fluid to add in with the regular stuff?
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Bill from Great basin said just the regular 89 is fine nothing special is needed. I hear the occasional noise cornering but other then that its a small gear noise. Maybe it is the ring and pinion. I hope not I just want to be able to drive the damn thing. Ill call bill on Monday and see what he says. I might just take it out and mail it to him to rebuild.

Could the noise be an axel? I sounds seems to be centralized.

Larry
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think it would be an axle. Sounds like a good idea to have hime check it and make sure the backlash and stuff are set right, if they are not you could kill the R&P in less then 2k miles.
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

He checked the backlash and set it between 4-7 (Bill advised those numbers as highs and lows). But I will have him recheck it. I will be only putting about 50 miles on it over this weekend max. Before I can get it back to him Monday am.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission