transmission + T Ccase Costs + Options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

transmission + T Ccase Costs + Options

So, my transmission is shot and I need guidance on options and costs. D-90 is presently at a nearly local British specialty shop (Yorks and Lancs in S.Cali). I would love some input from fellow members on the options out there and an idea on costs. I have the R380 in the 1994 and am more into dirt trails and routes to support my hiking/camping addiction so heavy duty or rock crawling use not likely. So...

1. rebuild the transmission by this shop -- ~$2500
Taking it out and getting to Eddie in Irvine really difficult (day off work, in/out of car, 2.5hr drive away
2. drop in a new tranny $700 to pull replace, but a replacement is an issue
Where does one get the transmission and about what can I expect to pay?
Stay wit the same R380 or upgrade? Upgarde to what? Is there a swap out from a disco or rover?
3. Does it make sense to use the opportunity and go automatic? Easy swap out? Again, costs and supplier
I have, in my entire life only had 1 car for 2 yrs that was an auto

Other topic, which is the T case which is being inspected tomorrow. Not sure yet but it has been really difficult to shift into and out of 4wd. Should there be an issue, what can you play with? I have always liked the idea of air lockers.
Thoughts? Other options

Oh, being a good D-90 source citizen per flashing yellow on the title I have scanned old posts and found Chuckwagon from 10/07 and Shake from 7/07 on tranny issues but no idea what happened. One of them when to a chevy - that is not an option here!
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I think when you say lockers you are referring to diffential lockers, which are mucho $$$ and not related to the transfer case.

Your LT230 transfer case already has the center diff lock. To achieve true 4wd you would need to install some type of locker in both the front and rear diffential assembly.

If your transfer case is shot, those can be had cheaply used. not sure about the actual transmission though. I think the d90 r380 is different than the disco ones as someone recently posted.

you might want to post for a transmission in the wanted section. good luck
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Have that shop pull your gearbox and then send it to Rob Dassler in CO for a rebuild or exhange. Same with the transfer case if you need one. He is the man.

Don't go automatic... just my .02
These "british car shops" never set them up right or wire them into the EFI like they should. Keep it stick, its more fun and has more power.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Paul,

There's a complete set up forsale at http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=8141.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Concur with Mike. Send one or both to Rob. If you need these serious rebuilds, get it done right. I'm pretty sure his prices will be quite a bit better than local shops too. Rob's in Albuquerque, NM, and both items can be shipped via FEDEX ground.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Third for Rob!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm running Rob D transmission and t-case, they are like "buttah." Seriously, if you're having this job done at a shop, then bit the bullet and put in good replacements, not used or otherwise compromised parts. The labor is just too expensive to pay for experimentation on unknown parts.

By the way, by"shot" what do you mean? I'd hate for someone to tell you that the trans was shot when all that was really happening was the clutch was badly adjusted and wouldnt release from the flywheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think Rob even has a super custom paint job he can do on your transfer case
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Very nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benneton T case.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	14346  

Old July 17th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I would get it to Eddie at WCR before sending it anywhere else. The price is right and the warranty is right. Give him a call and see if he can run a guy up to you with a trailer. Or you can borrow mine and deliver on a weekend. I think thats really the way to go.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would pull it myself and send to roadside rob, or buy the used unit off the for sale section.
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Rob @ Southwest Rovers......no matter the time or distance.

Keep the 380
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words and recommendations. I've been up to my eyeballs with work but have recently hired an experienced Land Rover tech to help me. He's a guy I trained when I worked in Denver, so I've known him a while and I trust his work. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time to spend on the boards.

Paul,
How bad is your transmission? What do you mean by "shot". If it's not catastrophically broken, it may be rebuildable for a reasonable cost. If you have questions, feel free to call me at the shop.
Regards,
Rob
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Hey, he lives. Glad to see you check in Rob. Was wondering what happened. Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission