Transmission swap and speedometer change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
slickrock
Andrew Gold
94 D90

Transmission swap and speedometer change

Hello. I have one of the first 94 NAS D90. I am not the original owner. I have been doing a bit of research and I still need some help. I currently have the R380 transmission. Previous owner mentioned swapping out the transmission years ago but couldn't remember the details. Wasn't the LT230 stock on a 1994? My speedometer is running about 3-5 mph faster than my actual highway speeds. Where do I find a different size gear? I will most likely need an extra tooth to slow down the drive on the speedo. Does anybody know of any manufactures that will sell a gear? Are there any other transmission manufacture parts that may fit and do the same job?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Go to a speedo shop and they will splice in a little box with gears to correct the speedometer. At a later date - if you change tires, etc - they can change the little gears to correct for the changes. Or you can go the electronic route with a newer transfer case and a VDO programable speedo.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Wasn't the LT230 stock on a 1994?"

LT230 is the transfer case. Stock transmission on most 1994s was an LT77. Not sure of the cutoff number but it was around 1300. Nearly all have been upgraded to the R380, many got it under warranty when newish.

"My speedometer is running about 3-5 mph faster than my actual highway speeds."

This is normal and designed to be that way.
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
3-5 is good. Mine is off a consistent 10% per the gps

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Actually, problem is the computer. In 94 with the mechanical.speedometer, there is a sensor about a foot from the transfer case that detects the rpms of the speedo cable and sends a signal to the computer - which limits speed. When we changed gears from 3.56 to 4.75 - fuel would be cut off about 65 or 70 mph (depending on tire size). Computer thought we were trying to go over 90 mph. Anyway, you could get a speedo shop to put stepdown gearbox before the sensor to correct the rpms of the cable and prevent fuel cutoff. When you go to a 300tdi and lose the computer, you can bolt up a sensor from a 97 defender directly to the transfer case and use that signal for the VDO speedometer. I haven't tried the 97 sender in a 94 and sending that signal to both the computer and an electronic speedo - it might work - but I already had the stepdown box.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrock
Hello. I have one of the first 94 NAS D90. I am not the original owner. I have been doing a bit of research and I still need some help. I currently have the R380 transmission. Previous owner mentioned swapping out the transmission years ago but couldn't remember the details. Wasn't the LT230 stock on a 1994? My speedometer is running about 3-5 mph faster than my actual highway speeds. Where do I find a different size gear? I will most likely need an extra tooth to slow down the drive on the speedo. Does anybody know of any manufactures that will sell a gear? Are there any other transmission manufacture parts that may fit and do the same job?
Thanks
Use the speedo drive gear form a RR Classic, FRC9339 is the part #. It will cure your roughly 5 mpg overread issue.
Cheap and easy and no need for any custom work.
Most NAS 90s came with the tan drive gear that reads too high. The Black RR Classic gear corrects the issue with 2 more teeth.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"My speedometer is running about 3-5 mph faster than my actual highway speeds."

This is normal and designed to be that way.

WTF
No it wasn't.....
Getting the speedo to read correctly is simple and easy.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
WTF
No it wasn't.....
Getting the speedo to read correctly is simple and easy.
Yes, it is. The odometer on every rover I have owned is near spot on accurate, while the speedos all read a bit fast. This is common and is "designed" into many vehicles. Do a quick google search.

If you put the RRC gear your odometer will be off, and I believe it will overcorrect and your speedo will be slow.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Yes, it is. This is common and is "designed" into many vehicles. Do a quick google search.

If you put the RRC gear your odometer will be off, and I believe it will overcorrect and your speedo will be slow.

If that is true it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Why design a system to be wrong?
What is the purpose of that?

My own truck has a RRC black gear and it is spot on with 265/75s according to the GPS.

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"If that is true it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Why design a system to be wrong?
What is the purpose of that?"

Liability. If you had a speedo that was reading 5% slow and spun out you could sue. 5% high and it will never be an issue. At least in Germany the law is it cannot read slow (ever, worn tires etc.) but can be 5-7% fast.

Five years ago, my brand new 2004 BMW was the same way as my rovers a few percentage points high which is when I started looking into the issue. Interestingly, in the rovers and the BMW, the odometer was dead nuts accurate (probably because if it was not, someone would sue for you making their warranty expire before it "really" hit XXXXX miles).

Ron

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
My own truck has a RRC black gear and it is spot on with 265/75s according to the GPS.
Does your odometer read high or no? RRCs had ~29in tires and D90s have ~32in tires, it should make up for more than 5% changing to the RRC gear.
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, BMW's I believe are designed to read app. 5% high. Every vehicle I have ever owned reads a couple MPH higher than the radar stations the police park on the side of the street. As others have said, it is for liability. In addition to what has been mentioned, if you got a speeding ticket because your speedo was reading high you could sue the manufacturer also, so...they purposely make them read slightly high.
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
[QUOTE=ECR]Use the speedo drive gear form a RR Classic, FRC9339 is the part #. It will cure your roughly 5 mpg overread issue.
Cheap and easy and no need for any custom work.
Most NAS 90s came with the tan drive gear that reads too high. The Black RR Classic gear corrects the issue with 2 more teeth.

Neat piece of information. Thanks for sharing it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110

Neat piece of information. Thanks for sharing it.
If you have a ROW truck it is even easier to get the speedo right, as they offer many more varations of gears with different number teeth. Sadly the EFI trucks are limited as only the tan and the black drive gears have the right size opening for the EFI speedo cable, the rest are larger for Tdi and other ROW models (those have a larger inner speedo drive cable).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Liability. If you had a speedo that was reading 5% slow and spun out you could sue. 5% high and it will never be an issue.
OK, sadly that makes sense.
What a F'd up world the scum-bag lawyers and the morons who can't take the blame for spilling coffee on themselves have created... sad legitinous mess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo, transmission