Transmission replacement questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Transmission replacement questions

I'm about to replace the transmission in my 94 D90. It is currently an auto box out of a '94 disco I am told.

1. If I go used, whats the newest model I can get to mate up? Thinking as new as possible this will ensure a chance at the lowest mileage. I think what I have is an 4HP22 which goes up to '95 discoveries. Would a 4HP24 (96-02 discos) work?

2. What else should I do while I have it out? I assume replace the rear main engine seal, and I plan on cleaning and lining the undercarriage with some sort of rust prevention and sound inhibitor. Any other suggestions?

3. Lastly any opinions on used vs rebuilt? I can get a used one for as low as $400 with about 4 hours of driving to get it (and I guess I'll need a filter kit), or about $1400 shipped for a rebuilt one.

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dang no bites?

Well, I ended up ordering a rebuilt one. We'll see how it goes.

Loic came over on saturday and helped me pull the transmission - it really helped having a second pair of hands and we made quick work of it. Thanks Loic!

I do have a couple of questions now that it's out (yes always questions).

1. Can the engine rear main seal be replaced without dismantling the engine? The service manual leads you to believe you can't.

2. If yes, does the flex plate on the flywheel need to come off before I can pull the flywheel, or can I just yank the flywheel without removing it? Anything else I should know? :D

3. What's this switch that wasn't wired on my transfer case?

http://lhsw.com/gallery/stuff/DSC01508

4. I hope this wasnt the source of my problems, but the kickdown cable grommet is broken. Any idea of a rebuild will come with this or do I have to order one? if I need to order one, will it be obvious how to remove it once I pull the pan?

http://lhsw.com/gallery/stuff/DSC01509

It looks like I can pre-assemble the transmission and transfer case before putting it in place which should make that a lot easier. This assumes I can get a helping hand again

thanks
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, transmission