Transmission replacement options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Transmission replacement options

Hi all,

The LT77 E-suffix in my 110 is mated to a 300 Tdi and is leaking badly primarily at the extension housing seal (the output shaft seal & seal collar are new and there's little to no fluid forward of the fill plug). The transmission shifts fine, even with 51000 miles on the 300 Tdi and an unknown number of miles before that. As far as I know, here are my options:

1) Rebuild the LT77 and hope it doesn't fail shortly afterwards.
2) Replace the LT77 with an H-suffix LT77. The down side of this is that I (still) won't be able to properly set the timing on the 300 Tdi (can't see the teeth on the flywheel through the clutch housing drain plug).
3) Replace the LT77 with a short R380 with my old bell housing. Same problem as above.
4) Replace the LT77 with a short R380 and modify the short 380 bell housing. This was an option offered by Dave @ Ashcroft, but I'm not quite sure of the details. Anyone familiar with this?
5) Replace the LT77 with a 300 Tdi R380 & bell housing and move the engine to the proper location. I know this is the correct answer, but it also involves the most labor. Plus, I have no welding experience and would have to either learn or have the car towed to a shop (or find a traveling welder?). And once I have the transmission out, how difficult is it to remove the 300 Tdi (I've removed & installed several Jeep engines)?

Anything I've missed? Any opinion on these options?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd get the correct Flywheel cover and rear seal holder for a 300 tdi and go with the short bell housing r380 from Dave which leaves the engine where it is but gives you the timing port etc as well as the last possible siffix build r380-ie the best posible scenario.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What Doug said

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2011, 01:01 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Until just after I posted the above, I wasn't aware that the rear seal holder & flywheel cover were from the old 2.5 NA - I thought that it was part of the clutch housing. Learned something new today

As far as the bell housing, here's what Dave said in his email:

"The short 380 will fit the earlier 2.5 NA and the 200 engine, not a direct fit to the 300, you can either modify the clutch cover housing or fit the 2.5 NA one".

Any idea what he means?

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind about the rear seal holder & flywheel cover, I see RDS has them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, transmission