transmission problems...help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

transmission problems...help

On my way to Rausch creek yesterday and somewhere on the highway one of the loudest squeals i've ever heard comes out from under the truck accompanied with an interesting smell. pull over, can't find anything wrong. slowly start driving in am attempt to get to an exit and the squealing/ grinding stops. truck drives fine but the noise comes back as a whine at speeds, clearly the tranny. instead of bringing a wounded truck to a rover gathering and potentially holding everyone up i turned back. pulled into a repair shop and drained the trans fluid which was chocholate brown. filled with new stuff and drove 150 miles back home. only sympton now is a loud whine from the trans. while driving and an even louder whine during engine braking. I know i'm gonna have to pull the trans to fix this. here are my questions:
1) the tranny was replaced about 4 years ago to the most current model. (lt 430 i think) should i keep this model or go back to the 380?
2) are there any modification in terms of custom gear ratios available
3) Where can I get a rover transmission rebuilt in the east?
4) searching this site gives me the best guess that i threw a bearing, but any ideas what might have happened and if rebuilding it is enough?

thanks for any advice.. have zero experience with working on or diagnosing transmission problems.. i looked at some photos on this site of other yanking their trannys and am considering doing the work myself so any and all pointers are welcome.
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2006, 04:55 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Sure it`s not the t case? I`ve run into every problem imaginable with the tranny in my truck (I`m on tranny #3 in a year and a half), but never heard a 380 "whine"... or when I did think that I heard the tranny whine, i`d drive it without the tunnel on and quickly notice any and all whining comming from the t case. Just to throw that out there. I guess it`s a possibility that there is a potential problem with the 380 that I havn`t run into... doubt it though
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

hmm, never considered the t-case. Now that you mention it, I will take a look this weekend and do some more diagnosing.
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

mine was making the same noise and i thought it was the T/C, turned out to be the rear ring and pinion.
the problem having no insulation its hard to to determing where the noise is comming from when your driving

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I would not definitely not consider rebuilding a Transmission or Tcase in NY. It would prob cost almost as much as a new one..
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"I would not definitely not consider rebuilding a Transmission or Tcase in NY. It would prob cost almost as much as a new one.."

Complete hogwash. Odd are it is the little input bearing which is about $20. If everything else checks out put it back together and you are on the road for a weekend and one bearing. Maybe throw a couple balk rings at the #2 synchro.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Or if you're not transmission capable call Rob, Southwest Rovers in Albuquerque. Well worth the cost of shipping.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Monkeyboy

x2 on calling Rob ... but the description of the lube color makes me wonder if you've lost the pump in the trans .... watch Rob make me look stoopid ....
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

We are within driving distance, and we overhaul Rover transmissions and transfer cases. Give us a call if you like, 413 785 1665.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Randy and Keith for the vote of confidence!
Before you do anything I would do a bit more test driving and see if you can pin it down a bit better. See if the noise stays the same or changes in all of the transmission gears. Try shifting the T-box into neutral & low range and repeat the test. Is the noise constant? Is it different in different gears? Does it change under power or decel or no load cruising? Is it related to road speed instead of gear selection? Does everything still shift correctly or is it grinding into gear? If something gave out in the transmission, there likely would have been a lot of brass & steel particles in the oil when it was drained. Was there? It might be worth inspecting the lubricant in all of the driveline components for proper level & excessive metal contamination. If the bearing between the input and mainshaft in the transmission gets noisey, the noise should go away in 4th gear as the shafts are directly coupled. If the bearing goes out completely it will not shift correctly into 4th gear. That bearing is a very common failure point, especially if the transmission is not serviced regularly, but failure is usually accompanied by a lot of metal in the oil & on the magnet. Another option for diagnosis purposes would be to find a friendly local garage and have them put the truck on the hoist and have someone operate it and listen underneath to better pinpoint the noisey component.
As far as advise on removal....
*Get a shop manual.
*Spend a few bucks & fab up the adapter per the blueprints in the manual.
*Rent a proper transmission jack to use with your newly fab'd up adapter.
*Pay special attention to the length and position of the bolts that hold the transmission to the t-box.
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thanks for all the info.. Further diagnosis shows this: Noise increases with road speed. The second I touch the clutch the noise is gone. I come off the clutch, it's back. Noise only comes when the drivelines is loaded... you know that spot when your still on the gas but aren't accelerating nor are you coasting?? well the noise stops when i do that also. WHen it first happened.. i pulled over got out and had my GF drive the car while i was outside. it sounded like scrape.......scrape.....scrape...scrape..scrape..s crape.scrape (very audible) as the car increased in speed but then stopped and now all I have is a minor whine. When i pulled the drain plug there were was metal shavings stuck to the magnet but i don't know whats normal and what's not. Most of the magnet was covered. SInce the noise stops with the clutch depressed, I think assume it's not a ring and pinion. Car shifts fine through all gears.
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:08 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"I would not definitely not consider rebuilding a Transmission or Tcase in NY. It would prob cost almost as much as a new one.."

Complete hogwash. Odd are it is the little input bearing which is about $20. If everything else checks out put it back together and you are on the road for a weekend and one bearing. Maybe throw a couple balk rings at the #2 synchro.
I guess you haven't had work done in NY..
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No reason he can not DIY this.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Just to check my logic... Could I check the transmission by placing the t-case in neutral and engaging the clutch up through the gears all the way to fifth?
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, try it in neutral and low range and see how the noise behaves.
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Is there anyone stateside that sells new transmissions R380? RDS didnt have any listed. I only think AB and RN sell reman units?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I took mine all the way up to 5th in low range and its really louder. I wonder to just wait for it all to go or what? Everything shifts easily and smoothly, doesnt seem to be anymore slop than what has usally been there. Just a little louder on the highway, it has ALWAYS made noise and ive driven the truck about 30,ooo. doesnt make any noise (whine) when i push in the clutch or let of the gas, this really gets noticable around 50 or 55 but doesnt really get any louder up to 70. It hard for me to compare to since I have only ever driven 3 other defenders and those i really didnt get up to highway speeds. And both the t-case and transmission are full, Redline in the gearbox mobil in the case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems, transmission