Transmission or torque converrter issue?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 27th, 2010, 01:13 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella
97/D90 ST: Sold

Transmission or torque converrter issue??

2 days ago I finished repalcing my water pump, oil cooler lines, power steering lines, had my radiator re-cored, installed all new radiator hoses and a new alternator on my 97 D90. It ran tip top on thurs and fri. About 30 mins ago I was heading to advanced auto to get some loctite and die electric grease when a warble or rumble sound started coming from the engine compartment. I pulled over and it started getting louder. It almost sounded like a boiling pot of water. I thought that perhaps there were air bubbles trapped, but once I turned the car off the noise stopped immediately. I turned the car back on and with in15 seconds the noise came back. I got back into the limp home but the transmission would not get into gear...none of them. The shift lever would move fine, but the tranny just would not engage. I was able to roll it into the parking lot of a random auto garage.

The head mechanic came over and he thinks it might be the torque converter and he will have to pull the transmission back to take a look. Sounded plausible to me, but really I have no idea. Was hoping some of the talented mechanics on this site might have some advice on what I should ask, test, or look for. The D90 is at his shop, he said he would get to it Monday and call me with an estimate. Nice guy, he stopped what he was doing and gave me a lift home (20 mins away to my house).
Thanks .
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
check the fluid level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-man View Post
some advice on what I should ask, test, or look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella

Yeas. I checked the expansion tank and it was full.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
did you top up when you put that radiator back in?
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella

rover 4x4,
Yes. I topped it off, then ran it around town, then topped it off again once it cooled.
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Transmission fluid
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Transmission fluid
That's what I thought you meant too.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella

The fluid level was fine. I just got a call from the mechanic and he explained that the torque converter bolts sheared off the flywheel and entered the transmission and subsequently destroyed the transmission. He found a low mileage transmission from an importer in Baltimore (any idea who that is??) for $900. He quoted me $1699 for the whole job: parts, fluid, labor. Anything I should look for when I swing by his shop after work to take a look inside?

I am assuming I can rebuild the old transmission and sell or keep to replace next time.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
If bolts went into the transmission from inside the bellhousing I would think you would have seen a large ish quantity of ATF on the ground underneath it.

just had a thought...please tell me you didn't take it to Arlington Motor Car did you? this place?

http://arlingtonmotorcar.com/

if so you are probably buying back the transmission you brought in.

I'd like to know where the importer in Baltimore imported the transmission from since there were basically no 90's sold with autoboxes anywhere else in the world. At least not in sufficient quantities to make it worthwhile to import one vs using one out of a US model rangie or discovery.

I think you are being sold a bill of goods, in some respect anyway.

ok, I see you are probably not @ Arlingtonj MW since this was a random "roll-in" ...maybe I am jumping to conclusions (ok, probably)...but...the source of the replacement sounds fishy, and somewhat high. I guess they are charging markup. but the overall estimate doesn't sound too bad for a complete trans replacement. see what kind of warranty they offer on the replacement unit.

make sure they change the output seal back of the trans and the input seal on your LT230...and if they are a non rover garage they might not know to check the spline length on the output stub shaft of the new trans. make sure they match and if not use the old one...

oh yeah...new transmission mounting rubbers are a good idea too while they are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-man View Post
The fluid level was fine. I just got a call from the mechanic and he explained that the torque converter bolts sheared off the flywheel and entered the transmission and subsequently destroyed the transmission. He found a low mileage transmission from an importer in Baltimore (any idea who that is??) for $900. He quoted me $1699 for the whole job: parts, fluid, labor. Anything I should look for when I swing by his shop after work to take a look inside?

I am assuming I can rebuild the old transmission and sell or keep to replace next time.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Call roverguy and he will get you a used transmission out of a 1996-99 Disco I (same unit as a 97 D90).

Also, I have never heard of that failure (bolts sheering and ruining the whole trans).
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella

Got the D90 back on Monday and it is running great. Total cost for a used auto tranny out of a Disco, fluids, and labor came to $1716.45 ($950 for the used tranny). Turns out the torque converter bolts had sheared so the transmission was not engaging. After the mechanic tighten the torque converter back inplace the transmission would engage but was making some serious whinning noise once it came up in temperature. I kept the old transmission with the hope of rebuilding and keeping or selling one day. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission