Transmission options ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Transmission options ...

So here I am again at crossroads, I have to get a new/rebuilt transmission and t-case as the ones I have right now are giving the obvious signs of wear. The problem I have also aside from the obvious, is that the two units are unmarked with no serial numbers for ID. Both have been buffed out of existence.

So here I am looking at getting those from the best place I know : Ashcroft. Witch brings to ask here if there are other alternatives to getting as close to new units before I pull the trigger on my order. I know that the Ashcroft units are a little more pricey with the shipping and all but you know that you get solid quality, something that is really dear to me.

Thanks everyone and feel free to post you opinion on the subject.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:17 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Just ordered an LT77 myself from the UK am also replacing the main drive gear, clutch and clutch operating arm which was always weak on the early 110's while the gearbox is out.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I had Rob D. (Roadsiderob) rebuild my LT95. It is a thing of beauty. Check with him first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
I had Rob D. (Roadsiderob) rebuild my LT95. It is a thing of beauty. Check with him first.
Just did ! Thanks !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Paul, how is the shifting now in comparison to before?...miles since rebuild?...what gear fluid did Bob add?
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

FlaD90, I'm in the midst of a complete vehicle rebuild. Not done yet, seems to be just above a snails pace. The tranny and xfer came dry. I have a bunch of MTL and MT90 and the shelf, ala the viscosity recommendations from AULRO.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Just make sure that whoever does rebuild it knows about all the rev'd parts, Dave is really good about sharing information, if I needed my R380/LT230 done I would probably spend extra on Ashcroft specifically because of Dave's community friendly attitude, something nearly unique amongst UK vendors.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I just spoke with Dave this afternoon. His suggestion was a later R-380, hands down, as the best choice. As long as it's got Suffix L or newer.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission