Transmission noise help... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Transmission noise help...

Hi All,

When travelling along above 20mph, on top of all the usual noises from the 110 (200tdi LT77s), there is a whirring almost metallic type noise - its the sort of noise a washing machine makes as it whirrs down after a spin. If you get up to 40 and stick the 110 mainbox in neutral, the noise is plain to hear over the engine (as the engine is now at tickover) and gradually decreases as you slow down. The handbrake isn't rubbing as i've adjusted that and the noise is unaffected by applying the brakes or turning to oine side or the other. There is nothing obvious rubbing on any moving parts either.

The whirring noise is there all the time the vehicle is rolling when the gears and T box are in the normal configuration i.e. in high ratio - in gear or rolling in neutral (main box).

If you start the vehicle rolling in low range its the same, there if in gear or rolling in neutral (main box). If you the flick the transfer box into neutral while rolling and listening to the noise, it dissappears. If, when rolling slow enough, you engage hi ratio again, the noise comes back....

Does this sound like a gearbox/transfer box problem? It doesn't really sound like bearings to me. There are no clunks or rattles and the noise does seem to come from under the centre of the vehicle.

Any ideas appreciated (i know its not a normal noise as its only just started doing it)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would guess the -box. drain it and check the fluid now.... Sounds like a bearing or something in there. Look for metal in the fluid.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Which box? The oil levels in both are ok and i've changed the oil in the main gearbox (no untoward amounts of metal and the fluid was pretty similr in colour to what went in...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

The noise is also loads louder when the transfer box is in low range...
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Does the whiring change when you change gear on the main box or does it slowly change with road speed?
If so that'll be your transfer box on it's way out. Mine gave up the gost during my summer expedition to Morocco. ended up swapping it out in Malagar on the way home. There were bits of gear tooth stuck to the magnetic drain plug. I hauled the failed unit home but haven't stripped it down yet to see what is amiss.
Probably not what you wanted to hear
You could take the plate offf of the underside of the transfer box after draining the oil and see what's up.
Bearings aren't too costly, chewed gears and casings are a replacement box job.
The noise on my failing transfer box initially started when the box was hot and disappeared when the clutch was depressed. but towards the end was there all the time from cold. Depressing the clutch removes much of the load and the failing bearings have less to do. It could also made to be quiet when you hit the spot when the engine wasn't pulling or decelerating.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Mike,

Thanks for your reply - i'm thinking its probably the transfer box. The noise is there all the time the landy is rolling over 20mph in or out of gear, hot or cold and it is consistent with road speed and not altered by changing gear. The only time it goes away is when the transfer box is slipped into neutral when rolling. It doesn't seem to alter in volume with certain speeds either.

I'll drain the oil and take the plate off the bottom i think and also examine the input shaft/gears. The box was put on when i changed the old 19j and lt77/lt230 to a 200tdi and a lower mileage lt77s/lt230 recently. it was fine for a bit although the newer lt77s was really stiff when we first started the landy up after the engine swap. I put this down to a lack of lubrication for the time it had been sat on my garage floor and took it easy to get the oil circulating before i drove it far. The good news i suppose is that i have the old and now spare transfer box in the garage, so i might bite the bullet and put this one back on as there were no problems with it before i removed it - i went for the lt77s over the older box because of the higher ratio in 5th compared to the old box and the supposedly lower mileage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission