Transmission issue - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2015, 07:16 PM
gmuiter
Greg
1994 D90 #1646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Make sure the lever bias is adjusted properly. In neutral, the stick should go cleanly straight up to 3rd and down to 4th.
I received the same advice from a tech who called me back from Atlantic British. He said this is the most common issue they hear and 99% of the time its not a syncro issue but this. Will work on that the lever bias this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So it looks like Redline MTL?. If so, the gearbox is leaking from the input seal. Time to contact the supplier. Make sure the breather is clear for the gearbox and it is not overfilled.
Also, the AB tech said an overfull transmission will make it appear that the input shaft seal is leaking. 1st thing to check was if it was over-filled, which it was, but only a little. It drained out for a couple minutes, a slow steady trickle. I had a bowl to catch it and if I were a betting man, I would say 1/16th of a bottle of Redline MTL overfilled. Likely was filled on a bench and overfilled.

More to come - you all are awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmuiter View Post
I received the same advice from a tech who called me back from Atlantic British.... More to come - you all are awesome!
I use to leave the engine in place, then install the gearbox (say R380) separately, then the transfer case, then the linkage...
Never again, you have gotten best practice from John B. and the others.
After having linkage issues the first 2 times... What I now do is ON THE GROUND, install the entire transmission and transfer case with T-case linkage and verify that shifting occurs in all 4 possible T-case positions before the entire assembly goes in.
The install is all in one piece with the main gearbox shifter left off... remember we are focused on the 4 T-case selections only at this stage of the "game".
Next with the vehicle on a lift, the main gearbox and T-case are raised on a transmission jack and slid into place.
Then from above, the main shifter is installed with the long lever, sound deadening schmekley.
The real finesse is the ability to jack the whole gearbox and T-case assembly up a bit at a time and get the diff lock warning light and reverse lamp connections in place along with the gearbox and T-case breathers and finally the handbrake assembly.

Completing this gives you an entry in the who's who of 90/110/130 successful transmission & T-case install registry of North America.

Unfortunately the bush league shop that did your work will never have an entry in the registry.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:27 PM
gmuiter
Greg
1994 D90 #1646

Registry
Great advice. I feel like I could maybe do this now honestly. I'm handy but limited on time and this is my first transmission replacement in the 30+ cars I have ever owned. I'm sorry I had to get this shop involved.

Though, I respect a busy shop and I know them around this area for many years (multiple shops). But as you all can see, I'm pretty disappointed in their claims of "lack of knowledge of my truck", 3 or 4 other faults now appearing in the truck and no admittance of any faults when clearly these things are not something that would just "happen" from sitting for 5 weeks in their parking lot!

Not giving up on it boys. This truck is too cool looking and I have WAY too much invested to just give up on it at this point. Addiction? Probably... :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission