Transmission issue - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmuiter View Post
No dice on the grub screw. It was in fact though a little loose, it didnt appear to be slipping off the selector shaft.

The Housing and the nylon Ball Pin Seat also looked to be in good shape with little wear.

Well - its at the Transmission shop and is slated to be looked at today. Any other suggestions, let me know - thanks for the help thus far.

Pics of my findings:
I just saw this thread again.
There is another grub screw on a shaft underneath this top cover that can cause issues, but it looks like you have a physical clutch issue or clutch hydraulics.
I do not understand why the shop would start with a complete transmission to fix a clutch problem.
It must have something to do with being able to guarantee their work.
Most shops like to replace all the parts with new so as not to hear back from the customer.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
gmuiter
Greg
1994 D90 #1646

Registry
Agreed. Had they told me this prior to them disassembling, I would have pushed it by hand to the next shop!!! I figured "this shop does NOTHING other than transmissions....I would be silly to take this anywhere else....". Next time for any other work, I'm going back to my regular indy and letting his boys do the work - only - if I can not.

More to come hopefully ASAP. Thanks for your feedback so far. I will try to see what the issue is on my core return as I am VERY curious.

G

PS - attached pic is my leaky slave clutch cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9391.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	127853  
Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:09 PM
gmuiter
Greg
1994 D90 #1646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I just saw this thread again.
There is another grub screw on a shaft underneath this top cover that can cause issues, but it looks like you have a physical clutch issue or clutch hydraulics.
I do not understand why the shop would start with a complete transmission to fix a clutch problem.
It must have something to do with being able to guarantee their work.
Most shops like to replace all the parts with new so as not to hear back from the customer.
I wish I knew. I hope I do not have egg on my face due to a lazy shop and my ignorance. I felt like I could trust them.... but now I actually feel like they cheaped out and put the bill on me.... Its simply one area I know nothing about, transmissions. All I can say was 2nd gear was very bad to shift to always; after and once the big problem happened, I had only 3rd gear and a little of 5th.

No other gears worked including reverse. No other hydraulic issues seemed to present themselves. All actuators seemed to move as should (even the slightly faulty slave cylinder). What was strange was the intermittent issues with the shifter. Where 1st and 2nd would not work, but 3rd would. Then suddenly 2nd with a grind and then a pop out and nothing. This current shop also confirmed hydraulics.

My spidey-sense has always been high that since purchase, I would need a transmission. Not that I want to throw money away.... I wish I had a trusted mechanic here in Pittsburgh for this truck!

I feel like at least, I now have a solid drive line and the next person who enjoys this truck after me, this will see this thread, and will know they are solid here too!

The obsession and money pit, continue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
man i am sorry to see you getting a run around from the shop, a new transmission will curely test your commitment to the Rover. what kinda mileage was on the transmission, it will be interestingto see what the output shaft looks like
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
These were both done for the clutch job, but that requires a R&R of the transmission to accomplish.
I find pulling the transmission to be one of the most dreadful jobs. I pull the motor to do the clutch in Defenders.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I wish I knew. I hope I do not have egg on my face due to a lazy shop and my ignorance. I felt like I could trust them.... but now I actually feel like they cheaped out and put the bill on me.... Its simply one area I know nothing about, transmissions. All I can say was 2nd gear was very bad to shift to always; after and once the big problem happened, I had only 3rd gear and a little of 5th. No other gears worked including reverse. No other hydraulic issues seemed to present themselves. All actuators seemed to move as should (even the slightly faulty slave cylinder). What was strange was the intermittent issues with the shifter. Where 1st and 2nd would not work, but 3rd would. Then suddenly 2nd with a grind and then a pop out and nothing. This current shop also confirmed hydraulics. My spidey-sense has always been high that since purchase, I would need a transmission. Not that I want to throw money away.... I wish I had a trusted mechanic here in Pittsburgh for this truck! I feel like at least, I now have a solid drive line and the next person who enjoys this truck after me, this will see this thread, and will know they are solid here too! The obsession and money pit, continue...
Dead first and reverse is a common fault that generally requires a new gearbox so don't feel too bad.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:40 PM
gmuiter
Greg
1994 D90 #1646

Registry
Latest today.... The clutch pedal goes to the floor but doesn't return.... I have really lost confidence in this shop. I called them to ask if the spring on the clutch lever itself was still in place and the tech thanked me for the suggestion and would look at that. That also I mentioned this might be a symptom of a master cylinder failure too and did they check?

They keep stating "this is like nothing they ever worked on". I find this so hard to believe! Maybe some minor nuances, but its basically the same engine and drive train in most all V8s - right? What am I missing?

Is there a certain procedure or technique to bleed the clutch hydraulics of a 1994 D90, R380, Gas engine?

Old August 25th, 2015, 02:40 AM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Why not punt while you're still only just a little behind? Get it out of there. Negotiate the best bill possible & AAA it or uHaul it to the nearest known LR specialty shop. After it's fixed, if that nearest shop isn't within AAA's premium level tow range, then consider selling it. I took my first LR to a hack & lost big, too, & I'm sure many others here have also.
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:45 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Why not punt while you're still only just a little behind? Get it out of there. Negotiate the best bill possible & AAA it or uHaul it to the nearest known LR specialty shop. After it's fixed, if that nearest shop isn't within AAA's premium level tow range, then consider selling it. I took my first LR to a hack & lost big, too, & I'm sure many others here have also.
Consider selling the truck instead of repairing/replacing the tranny? Are you drunk or high?
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:48 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
He just wants to buy it ;-)
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:49 AM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Consider selling the truck? Are you drunk or high?
No, sober. If it's not serviceable in his area, then it's not worth the heartache.
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:54 AM
javelinadave
-
-

He lives in Pittsburg PA not BFE. Somebody in that major metropolitan city can hook him up.
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:08 AM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
He lives in Pittsburg PA not BFE. Somebody in that major metropolitan city can hook him up.
You would think so, but nobody chimed in since he posted this:
Quote:
I wish I had a trusted mechanic here in Pittsburgh for this truck
Anyway, I never opined that I thought he should sell it bc of the tranny issue. And I really have no clue as to how big LR is in places like Pittsburg. Dealers? Sure. Competent indy LR specialty shops? I have my doubts.
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:12 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Changing a gearbox and installing a clutch is as simple as following the steps in the Haynes manual or Land Rover workshop manual.

If it has to stay at the shop do yourself a favor and provide those reference materials as they are obviously in need of help.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Latest today.... The clutch pedal goes to the floor but doesn't return.... I have really lost confidence in this shop. I called them to ask if the spring on the clutch lever itself was still in place and the tech thanked me for the suggestion and would look at that. That also I mentioned this might be a symptom of a master cylinder failure too and did they check?

They keep stating "this is like nothing they ever worked on". I find this so hard to believe! Maybe some minor nuances, but its basically the same engine and drive train in most all V8s - right? What am I missing?

Is there a certain procedure or technique to bleed the clutch hydraulics of a 1994 D90, R380, Gas engine?

One of the primary attractions of these trucks is their simplicity. They are basal level engineering.
For a shop to say its like nothing they have ever worked on is scary. There is nothing tricky about the clutch on one of these. Many here have done their first clutch job ever on their defender in their home garage or driveway. Take the truck elsewhere.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is no different than a clutch on any other vehicle. I can't imagine what they find different.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:38 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Latest today.... The clutch pedal goes to the floor but doesn't return....
This is a bad clutch master cylinder.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Not necessarily. This incompetent shop just installed a new gearbox. God knows what they have done.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:56 AM
jabber
m j

Quote:

Or not properly bled....

I just pulled the trans and xfer case in my garage, by myself with a hoist and trolley jack. Took me a while in between work, wife, 4yo daughter, and a healing back from surgery eight months ago. But I successfully completed the job.

Get a manual and do it yourself. That garage is smoking something if they can't fix this.
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:49 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Surely there is a British shop in Pitts. Otherwise, put it on a uhaul and take it to Trevor at British 4x4 specialties. He did my trucks master, slave, and clutch in 2010 and knows what the hell he is doing.

Land Rover, Range Rover, Rover Repair | Elizabethtown, PA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission