"transmission fluid" trick in the oil? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Question "transmission fluid" trick in the oil?

Has anyone done the "put transmission fluid in the oil" trick to clean out their 90? I am swithching to synthetic tomorrow and wanted to clean out all the other sh*t i can in there. I've done this before on other vehicles. Put about a 1/2 qt of fluid in with the oil (dumping a 1/2 qt of oil first to make room mind you). and letting it sit for about 10 min, then ran it for like 3 min. It smells like shit, but but whatev,
anyone have an opinion on this? I will await the jedi council's decision before doing any "oldschool tricks" on my one and only child.
WORD!
thanks guys

-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
when i made the change to syn i put in the syn then changed at about a thousand. after that i changed the filter about every 500 for the first normal interval of about 3k. now i change oil and filter about every 3000 or so

Follow-up Post:

if do the sea foam before i did that
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

If you want to clean your engine with minimum risk use Mobil 1 0-40 oil. The 0-40 will flow faster through the motor and in doing so will scrub away deposits more effectively than thicker oils. In addition, the 0-40 has aggressive detergents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Not to bring up a dead topic (and possible argument/disagreement between members...) but Marvel Mystery Oil did wonders for our disco during the cleaning inside the valve covers and rocker assemblies. I used it as a solvent to clean in there because I knew it wouldn't do damage in the crankcase because it's made to go in there anyway, I just cleaned with a measured amount. Then I also ran it for 500 miles with the recommended "dose" of MMO also. I was so impressed by how it disolved the sludge during the manual cleaning and it seemed to work so well running it through the engine that we used it in the two d-90's also and it seemed to work very well there too. The engine seemed to run smoother and quieter after the treatment (could be placebo, but a very noticeably placebo at that). Note that it is a complete "use at your own risk" thing, but I would definitely use it again on any normally aspirated gasoline engine.

FYI, not applicable here, but I wouldn't use it in a turbo'd car or a diesel car/truck due to the higher tolerances (both mechanically and fluid-wise).
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Why not use one of the Engine flush addatives that you dump in the oil just prior to the oil change the leave it ticking over for about 20 mins before dumping the oil (usually all over the driveway )
That's what I do (trying to avoid the last bit)
Or you could get really keen and buy some flushing oil
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

?

So, will it damage it if I use the transmission fluid trick?
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

This brings back bad memories for me

I bought a car (non rover) years ago that the previous owner had used non detergent motor oil. The first thing I did was to change the oil. I put high detergent motor oil in the crank case and fired it up. After 10 minutes of running, the engine knocked like crazy, like it had no oil pressure, but the pressure was fine. When I checked the oil it was coal black, with only 10 minuets of run time. I changed the oil again but the knock continued and the oil was black again after 10 min. All the sludge was being knocked loose and it was enough to clog the lifters making it knock. I had to tear down the motor and clean it manually. There was literally 1/2 inch of sludge on top of the heads and in the pan. The engine only had 62K miles on it.

Good luck, hope it does not happen to you.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

ATF softens and eventually eats natural rubber seals and o-rings. My guess would be that the occasional very short use such as you describe would not cause damage. However, prolonged usage would cause leaks.

When I took my ASE classes they recommended 1 tablespoon be added to the oil with every change to keep the seals soft.

The only concern I would have would be how much of the ATF was in parts of the engine that do not drain immediately. I personally use an engine flush like mikeslandrover mentioned.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Thanks for the help guys.
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Aren't most of the engine oil flush products just kerosene?
That's what I've heard and that's what the smell like....
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:26 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

they are mainly kerosine, it is used as the carrier solvent for the detergent and flushing additives

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

There are several good products out there to help with this flushin of the engine. BG Makes a really good one that also removes a lot of deposit and build ups of shit in the engine. In the past I have used it but always removed the oil pan afterwards to clean the oil screen on the pick up tube and get all the gunk out of the oil pan. Best of luck...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission