Transmission fluid change resulted in Engine Warning Light? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
silverlight's Avatar
silverlight
Status: Offline
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYState
Posts: 103
Transmission fluid change resulted in Engine Warning Light?

Hi - any ideas on where to troubleshoot? Given I have a sticky and rough transmission in terms of shifting I did another flush and change of transmission fluid. Defender 110 NAS 1993 with LT77 tranny. Used Red Line MTL fluid (which was recommended to me) plus a dose (1 0.7 litre bottle) of Lucas Transmission Fix. The combination has resulted in a butter smooth transmission, however the red engine light is now coming on. For reference it's never come on in the past 3 years, so seems like a pretty clear cause and effect. It's worth noting that I filled when engine was cold up to the fill hole level so that a slight amount was dripping out. I checked level cold and warm (at warm there was fluid leaking out). Also worth mentioning that while the capacity level chart suggests 2.67 litres, I only was able to fill with a little over 2 litres including the Lucas TF. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Geoff
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
navydevildoc's Avatar
navydevildoc
Status: Offline
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,586
Registry
Well, let's start with what code is showing up on the diagnostic display?

There is really no computer connection to the tranny as far as I know, but while you were down there you may have hit an O2 sensor or wiring or something else...
__________________
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post
Hi - any ideas on where to troubleshoot? Given I have a sticky and rough transmission in terms of shifting I did another flush and change of transmission fluid. Defender 110 NAS 1993 with LT77 tranny. Used Red Line MTL fluid (which was recommended to me) plus a dose (1 0.7 litre bottle) of Lucas Transmission Fix. The combination has resulted in a butter smooth transmission, however the red engine light is now coming on. For reference it's never come on in the past 3 years, so seems like a pretty clear cause and effect. It's worth noting that I filled when engine was cold up to the fill hole level so that a slight amount was dripping out. I checked level cold and warm (at warm there was fluid leaking out). Also worth mentioning that while the capacity level chart suggests 2.67 litres, I only was able to fill with a little over 2 litres including the Lucas TF. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Geoff
How many miles on the 110? Could be that you just randomly crossed the threshold where the Service Engine light typically comes on (assuming this is the one you're referring to). Doing the trans fluid won't affect this light I believe.

------ Follow up post added June 23rd, 2013 12:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well, let's start with what code is showing up on the diagnostic display?

There is really no computer connection to the tranny as far as I know, but while you were down there you may have hit an O2 sensor or wiring or something else...
Doesn't an O2 throw the yellow CEL, not the red Service Engine?
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
silverlight's Avatar
silverlight
Status: Offline
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYState
Posts: 103
Here are responses to the above:

(1) miles are about 44,000 original miles

(2) just checked the diagnostic box and it read #88. So I looked it up and read about next steps on this code, so I cycled it and then got #02 and the engine light went off, followed by blank on the diagnostic when starting the engine. So it appears whatever it was cleared itself and didn't come back.

So not sure what happened, but the transmission is working far better which I'm happy about just want to make sure I didn't do anything else along the way!

Thanks for the help and let me know if you think this closes the loop or if there's something else I should check.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Davis's Avatar
Davis
Status: Offline
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,500
Code 88= purge valve leak
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
revtor's Avatar
revtor
Status: Offline
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 817
Registry
It might have stopped leaking oil temporarily, which causes the computer to throw the "out of oil" code. Classic Rover engineering.
__________________
"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM
silverlight's Avatar
silverlight
Status: Offline
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYState
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
It might have stopped leaking oil temporarily, which causes the computer to throw the "out of oil" code. Classic Rover engineering.
I have noticed a very slow oil leak which drips from just below the transmission.

Will keep an eye on it to see if it continues but perhaps that was the source.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, transmission

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 Tdi Egt Q?????? Buckon37s Defender Technical Discussions 37 July 11th, 2012 11:26 AM
emmisions control reminder - service engine light JKC Defender Technical Discussions 5 September 28th, 2011 09:42 AM
first oil change after breaking in new engine Davis Defender Technical Discussions 15 May 2nd, 2010 12:21 PM
97 D90 check engine light - on now off? Eric_S Defender Technical Discussions 3 January 28th, 2005 10:17 AM
Oil Info XD90 Defender Technical Discussions 5 September 7th, 2004 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Copyright