Transmission fluid change resulted in Engine Warning Light? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Transmission fluid change resulted in Engine Warning Light?

Hi - any ideas on where to troubleshoot? Given I have a sticky and rough transmission in terms of shifting I did another flush and change of transmission fluid. Defender 110 NAS 1993 with LT77 tranny. Used Red Line MTL fluid (which was recommended to me) plus a dose (1 0.7 litre bottle) of Lucas Transmission Fix. The combination has resulted in a butter smooth transmission, however the red engine light is now coming on. For reference it's never come on in the past 3 years, so seems like a pretty clear cause and effect. It's worth noting that I filled when engine was cold up to the fill hole level so that a slight amount was dripping out. I checked level cold and warm (at warm there was fluid leaking out). Also worth mentioning that while the capacity level chart suggests 2.67 litres, I only was able to fill with a little over 2 litres including the Lucas TF. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, let's start with what code is showing up on the diagnostic display?

There is really no computer connection to the tranny as far as I know, but while you were down there you may have hit an O2 sensor or wiring or something else...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post
Hi - any ideas on where to troubleshoot? Given I have a sticky and rough transmission in terms of shifting I did another flush and change of transmission fluid. Defender 110 NAS 1993 with LT77 tranny. Used Red Line MTL fluid (which was recommended to me) plus a dose (1 0.7 litre bottle) of Lucas Transmission Fix. The combination has resulted in a butter smooth transmission, however the red engine light is now coming on. For reference it's never come on in the past 3 years, so seems like a pretty clear cause and effect. It's worth noting that I filled when engine was cold up to the fill hole level so that a slight amount was dripping out. I checked level cold and warm (at warm there was fluid leaking out). Also worth mentioning that while the capacity level chart suggests 2.67 litres, I only was able to fill with a little over 2 litres including the Lucas TF. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Geoff
How many miles on the 110? Could be that you just randomly crossed the threshold where the Service Engine light typically comes on (assuming this is the one you're referring to). Doing the trans fluid won't affect this light I believe.

------ Follow up post added June 23rd, 2013 12:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well, let's start with what code is showing up on the diagnostic display?

There is really no computer connection to the tranny as far as I know, but while you were down there you may have hit an O2 sensor or wiring or something else...
Doesn't an O2 throw the yellow CEL, not the red Service Engine?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Here are responses to the above:

(1) miles are about 44,000 original miles

(2) just checked the diagnostic box and it read #88. So I looked it up and read about next steps on this code, so I cycled it and then got #02 and the engine light went off, followed by blank on the diagnostic when starting the engine. So it appears whatever it was cleared itself and didn't come back.

So not sure what happened, but the transmission is working far better which I'm happy about just want to make sure I didn't do anything else along the way!

Thanks for the help and let me know if you think this closes the loop or if there's something else I should check.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Code 88= purge valve leak
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
It might have stopped leaking oil temporarily, which causes the computer to throw the "out of oil" code. Classic Rover engineering.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
It might have stopped leaking oil temporarily, which causes the computer to throw the "out of oil" code. Classic Rover engineering.
I have noticed a very slow oil leak which drips from just below the transmission.

Will keep an eye on it to see if it continues but perhaps that was the source.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, transmission