transmission drain plug fell out!? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2015, 05:42 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

transmission drain plug fell out!?

so about a 2 months i was doing a pre-trail inspection on my brothers 110 and i noticed the drain plug on the tranny was missing. it must have been missing for at least 4k miles because thats when it started to pick up a bit of a grind going into 2nd and 4th. so anyways after a month of waiting i dont think the drain pug that he ordered from the uk is going to show up. so im not to knowledgeable in the exact workings of a transmission, nor is my brother, it hasn't been started since i saw it was missing so if i were to start it with the clutch pressed, the transmission wouldnt spin at all, right? and also if anyone would happen to know if there are another drain plugs off of any other trannys that would be compatible with the r380, that'd be great! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

No way it went 4,000 miles without fluid. Are you sure it isn't the bell housing wading plug that is missing? Post up a photo.
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
No way it went 4,000 miles without fluid. Are you sure it isn't the bell housing wading plug that is missing? Post up a photo.
Yeah, the first thing that came to mind as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2015, 06:26 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
It might have gone 4 miles without a drain plug. I doubt 4k.
Although Prins did finish a Dakar race a few years back with an R380 that had lost fluid. First, 2nd, and 3rd had failed. They crossed the finish line with just 4th and 5th.
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:21 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Quote:
it was definitely the drain plug, down and to the left of the torx fill plug. it finally came in the mail this morning, after a flush and a fill it wont take second above 15km now
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:51 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Canada View Post
it was definitely the drain plug, down and to the left of the torx fill plug. it finally came in the mail this morning, after a flush and a fill it wont take second above 15km now
That sucks. Probably needs a rebuild.
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:13 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Quote:
That sucks. Probably needs a rebuild.
it was rebuilt 260k miles ago so it was probably due soon anyways. off topic but i found its old ad from a few owners back couple days ago if anyone wants to see

http://porthawkesbury.allcarsincanad...on_198467.html.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain, drain plug, transmission