transmission cooler question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

transmission cooler question

First, if there is too much AT fluid what problems typically surface first? Second, has anyone replaced their transmission cooler before? It seems pretty easy to replace, however I just want to see if anyone has done it before and why they did it. Finally, if anyone has an extra one they want to sell for a 97 PM me.

Thanks,
Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2006, 11:02 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Mine has a leak coming from the passenger side bottom fitting, and tightening the fitting isn't helping. Someone on here said that they had replaced theirs and it was expensive. Why are you replacing yours?

97 D90 SW
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Well I have been hearing this strange knocking noise for some time now. My temperature started running hot a little while ago so I replaced the radiator (not the problem) and it only seems to do it when A) the temperature gets warm B) I come to a stop after driving (increased RPMs alone do not cause it). I have had a couple of friends look at it and we are almost certain that the knocking noise is coming from this tranny cooler. I have thought it might have been a lifter, the thermostat poping, etc. and it all leads down to this.

I called British Atlantic and the local dealership and it looks like the new part is around $150 so I don't think it is too expensive. I might just replace the tranny cooler lines while I am at it, but I think you can even get this thing replaced by just taking off some parts from the front grill. It looks like only 2 bolts are holding the actually transmission cooler part in.

I read this post and it seems like it might be worth replacing:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...mission+cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Can you provide the part number on that cooler you had priced at $150? I am in need of a new cooler for my 110 and was quoted $325 (RN) for the part (which I dont find reasonable) and wanted to see if they were the same/interchangeable.

Thanks,
Matt
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Not sure what could "knock" in the tranny cooler as fluid is the only thing moving in it. Check your motor mounts and fan shroud. Could be a broken mount that is causing your fan blade to scrub the shroud and sounding like a knock. At low RPMs it could be enough to stop the fan blade from turning causing the overheat. I just had this happen. If the knock sounds deeper or metalic this is probably not your problem and I would suspect it is engine related. Is the knock consistent with RPM?

Changing it is simple. Just have something below to drain the fluid, loosen the line fittings and swap it and top up fluid. Beware that the lines thread into a fitting which threads into the cooler. It is my advice to separate this piece from the line and fit to the new cooler prior to refitting the lines.

Tis
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Jonathan--

It does sound like a metalic knock, but no it is not consistent with RPM. I can start it up and it will do it for about 15 seconds then subside. I can keep it running, increase the RPM, etc. but no repeat of the noise. However, if I am actually driving (not just manually increasing the RPM) then I can get it to repeat when I am at a stop (fades after 15 seconds...drive....stop...hear it again). It has me pretty stumped at this point. I had the same thought about the tranny cooler with the fluid being the only moving part. However, do you think that if it is clogged up it could possibly be causing this? I don't see any leaking and I know that fluid is going through there b/c it is hot to the touch after about 5 seconds. Thanks for the input. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Matt--

The dealership in Austin gave me that price, but I forgot to jot down the part number. I will post it when I pick it up (assuming I go down this route as the problem).

Tom
Old October 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Hmmm...my first two thoughts are dounut gaskets or clogged oil pump screen possibly leading to lifter noise. Both are consistent with RPM though. If it were the top half of the engine not getting enough oil you might see the red check engine light flicker at low idle, do you get that at all? The gaskets would only make noise until the engine gets to operating temp unless they are really leaking, but you would get a consistent and audible tick, tick, tick all the time especially under throttle.

Take a stethoscope if you have one or a long pry bar with a plastic handle(use it like a stethoscope) and put it on different parts of the engine and ancillaries(water pump, idler pulley if you have one, ect) and see if you can pinpoint the noise, and let us know.

I wouldn't buy a cooler based on this diagnosis, I don't think that is your problem.

Tis
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I agree that it doesn't sound like the tranny cooler, but it is easy to replace if you so chose. You'll need to remove the black plastic grill, then the aluminum surround before being able to remove it, but it's easy.

charles
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
Can you provide the part number on that cooler you had priced at $150? I am in need of a new cooler for my 110 and was quoted $325 (RN) for the part (which I dont find reasonable) and wanted to see if they were the same/interchangeable.

Thanks,
Matt
You cooler is for a manual transmission. His is for a automatic.

I may have the cooler you are looking for.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Thanks for all the input. I will try stethoscope. I tried using a broom handle last week and I could not find anything on the engine. I did hear the noise when I placed it on the radiator which made me think it was that (which was wrong). I will probably go pick one up today at the pharmacy and see if I can narrow it down more.

The red service engine light has never come on and tick is not constant. One other strange thing is that sometimes I can hear the random knocks right after I turn the car off. I know that there are the usual noises from parts cooling down, however after listening for a few months now I think I have narrowed down this knock from the others. This throws me off even more. Like I say, I can put my hands on the bumper and feel the vibration through it. So my assumption is that this culprit source is touching the frame some where.
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:21 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I am replacing the trans oil cooler tomorrow. Mine had a pinhole leak above the brass fitting where the passenger side line enters the bottom or the cooler. Got a new one from from Rovers Down South for $120.

97 D90 SW
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I replaced my stock trans cooler with a B&M one. I tapped into the existing circuit by cutting at the rubber hoses and using 1/2" (stock hoses are about 3/8") barbed fittings. After 6 months, -10F to 95F, and 6000 miles it appears the barbed connections hold the pressure very well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission