Transfer Case Wont Shift - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90
Transfer Case Wont Shift

My transfer case (believed to be a 230) wonít shift out of high range. The lever moves back and forth from high to neutral and then to low. This can be done locked or unlocked it doesnít matter. When you move the shifter you can feel or what appears to be detents as its position moves from high to neutral to low. Iíve tried this stopped, rolling, engine on, engine off, 5 speed (lt77) in gear and out of gear with no luck. I havenít had a chance to remove the tunnel cover to verify linkage connection but I have lifted the boot and foam gasket and it looks like the linkage is moving and is connected.

With that anyone have any ideas.

BTW Dave from the site I havenít had a chance to open the inspection plate but will do so as time permits. Thanks again for your time on Sunday.

One last question on the top of the transfer case there are two wires that land on a spade type fitting, is this for the warning light that the t-case is locked up?

Old September 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
If you can feel the Hi/low detents, most likely the high low shift fork has come loose from the shift rod. You are probably moving the rod back and forth but the fork is stationary. There is a set screw that locates the fork to the rod that has probably worked loose and fallen out. If this is the case, then the transfer case will have to come out and the front output housing will have to come off and the center diff and gear cluster will have to be removed for access the shift fork...almost a complete teardown of the box.
The switch with 2 male spade terminals is for the diff lock light.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

transfer case